Motorcycle Suspension Setup 101 - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
YUT-UGHH

Re: Motorcycle Suspension Setup 101

Great write up! Thanks!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Yamaha Blue in any color

Bike: FZR-1K, R1, Vmax, R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid-6 View Post
Much appreciated for the excellent write up. Nice Job DanQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil1 View Post
Again, badass Dan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atm1092 View Post
Great write up! Thanks!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks for the reads guys, please do post your impressions and or questions.

Devil1, did you actually read this thing twice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 V-Max 0098/2000 20th Anniversary
04 Roadstar Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #23 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes

Bike: Tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Thanks for the reads guys, please do post your impressions and or questions.

Devil1, did you actually read this thing twice?
Maybe

Godspeed Chad "Gawarrior" Clifton - June 25, 2008

post #24 of 191 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Damn Liberals...

Bike: A Cager totaled my r6 :(

wow, impressive and extremely well written, nice job!
post #25 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM

Bike: 08 CBR1000RR

Me and a friend finally did ours today and wow, the front sag was WAAAYYYY off!!! I swear the bike was set up for a 130 lbs girl... I haven't had the chance to do any really aggressive riding but i swear I can feel a difference.. My friend did most all the research and I basically just let him show me what to do, but after reading through your write-up I'm very confident he knew what he was talking about... I only wish I had done this like a year ago!! After just riding casually I swear the bike feels more stuck to the ground and the front doesn't dive nearly as much as it used to.. Before today I had kinda experimented with the compression and rebound settings, but I think getting the sag right was extremely important.. Maybe it's all in my head, but I know for sure that it at least isn't diving as much anymore.. GREAT write-up, after reading through it I feel even better about finally taking the time to set my bike up, I'm stoked to get more seat time with it all custom fitted!! Everyone should definitely do this!
post #26 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Yamaha Blue in any color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Plow View Post
Me and a friend finally did ours today and wow, the front sag was WAAAYYYY off!!! I swear the bike was set up for a 130 lbs girl... I haven't had the chance to do any really aggressive riding but i swear I can feel a difference.. My friend did most all the research and I basically just let him show me what to do, but after reading through your write-up I'm very confident he knew what he was talking about... I only wish I had done this like a year ago!! After just riding casually I swear the bike feels more stuck to the ground and the front doesn't dive nearly as much as it used to.. Before today I had kinda experimented with the compression and rebound settings, but I think getting the sag right was extremely important.. Maybe it's all in my head, but I know for sure that it at least isn't diving as much anymore.. GREAT write-up, after reading through it I feel even better about finally taking the time to set my bike up, I'm stoked to get more seat time with it all custom fitted!! Everyone should definitely do this!
Thanks for the read, and the feedback.

I wrote this in what I feel is order of importance. It's also the order I do my suspension setups in, and having watched a few others, the same order as they do theirs.

Hopefully soon I'll be posting some troubleshooting information, followed by service and upgrades.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Roadstar Warrior

post #27 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 AM
I miss Cali rides :/

Bike: Custom 08

nice write up! very noticeable difference when the bike is set up properly. i did mine about a year ago, and set up a few other people. they noticed it also right away. will be needing to do again soon since i have put alot of miles on and bike was sitting through deployment. will follow your guide to see if i missed anything in my previous setup. again, well done!

Will
post #28 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM

Bike: 08 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Thanks for the read, and the feedback.

I wrote this in what I feel is order of importance. It's also the order I do my suspension setups in, and having watched a few others, the same order as they do theirs.

Hopefully soon I'll be posting some troubleshooting information, followed by service and upgrades.
My friend must have read your write-up or a similar one, because we did ours basically exactly in the order you described... Today is supposed to be a hot one and I mite go try and hit the canyons to get a feel for it and further fine-tune the compression and rebound settings. I'm super stoked, and ya thanks again the write-up is really helpful!
post #29 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 AM
vroom vroom?

Bike: 2002 Blue R6

Nothing makes my eyes water more than a write up that normal people and engineers can understand. I say them in that order because these kinds of things are usual watered down so the everyday joe can understand what's going on. But in doing so they lose the accuracy afforded by using those long and confusing technical words and you'll find guys like me (BS Engineering and Business) pulling their hairs out in frustration.

Then you'll get the other side with the guys that can't speak plain English. I went to school with them and if it wasn't so detrimental to getting shit done I'd have laughed my ass off every time I saw one blumber through a presentation.

Great write up. Hits the middle ground perfectly and does a great job with descriptions and instruction. Now if my recently graduated @$$ wasn't so broke, I'd go do the work right now. Need to get the tools first. =\

Regardless.. . A+ Dan. What's your background in anyways?
post #30 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Yamaha Blue in any color

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybuzzer View Post
Nothing makes my eyes water more than a write up that normal people and engineers can understand. I say them in that order because these kinds of things are usual watered down so the everyday joe can understand what's going on. But in doing so they lose the accuracy afforded by using those long and confusing technical words and you'll find guys like me (BS Engineering and Business) pulling their hairs out in frustration.

Then you'll get the other side with the guys that can't speak plain English. I went to school with them and if it wasn't so detrimental to getting shit done I'd have laughed my ass off every time I saw one blumber through a presentation.

Great write up. Hits the middle ground perfectly and does a great job with descriptions and instruction. Now if my recently graduated @$$ wasn't so broke, I'd go do the work right now. Need to get the tools first. =\

Regardless.. . A+ Dan. What's your background in anyways?
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a retired US Marine and I work in computer systems. But I became extremely interested in chassis and suspension, so I try to learn from every means possible. Being broke helps because it forces me to do things myself.

In the near future I'm planning to add troubleshooting and maintenance to this thread. So hopefully it will become worth more to everyone.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Roadstar Warrior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in