03+ R6 Engine Cutting out - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to penfold
wow, forgot this was even a sticky anymore!

ya, the issue seems to be the coils and Yamaha had a recall on them. the denso's would melt and arc causing the problem but the new mitsubishi replacements ones are supposed to cure it. never experienced any problems on my 03 but had them replaced anyways. the reason it was thought that the PC3 may cause it was cuz at the time, some of the connectors didn't fit very tight and it was thought that that might be causing it. I think there is still a sticky in the exhaust section about checking your coils and has a link to the technical bulletin that yamaha issued that you can take to the dealer to have them replaced free of charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to penfold

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 204 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:31 AM
R6 Racer

Bike: Yamaha R6
I have an R6 that runs fine on a cold engine. After it warms up for a minute or so, it starts running really rough. I wonder if the coil is acting up after it gets warmed up. I will pull them and test them tomorrow and post the results of what I find.

post #24 of 204 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:26 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 R6
Send a message via MSN to Yammychick
Hey all. I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm having the same dramas with my 03 R6. It's been at the mechanics for 3 weeks now. Problem is intermittent. Runs great, pull up at lights, suddenly cuts out on me and I can start it but it won't idle. Leave it alone for 30 seconds, try it, runs fine again! My mechanic checked the coils immediately - replaced them, still got the same problem. He's tried new plugs, still no joy. Disconnected the PC3 but that didnt make a difference. Funny thing is, they can't get it to play up on the dyno. It pulls 104 hp and heats up to where the fan kicks in and runs like a dream they reckon, then hop on it and don't even get out the driveway. Does anyone have any ideas on this whatsoever??? I'm at my wits end and missin my bike heaps.
post #25 of 204 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:46 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 R6
Send a message via MSN to Yammychick
Ok I have 3 words for all you R sixers scratchin ur noggins on this one - throttle position sensor. Replaced mine and so far so good (fingers crossed).

Hope this helps.
post #26 of 204 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
I fling poo!

Bike: 03 r6
Send a message via AIM to Monky Send a message via MSN to Monky Send a message via Yahoo to Monky
So got my coils changed, things were going well for about.. 200 miles.. started doing the exact same thing again. Pissed off I went to the shop, thinking somehow when the coils fried it shorted out the ECU.. it could possibly happen, talked to my tech about it, he had seen it once..

Get to the shop, talking to my tech (yes i know him personally we go have beers.. alot of them) and he jumps on the bike, takes off.. comes back about a min later, and he's laughing about my bike running on 2 cyls.. we strip her down, check the coils their fine.. first things first right.. take the bike to stock ecu.. disco the PCIII.. takes it out.. 20 mins NO problem.. so its the PCIII..

Check the PC website.. under their FAQ 'my bike feels like its only running on 2 cyls' known problem, check for frayed wires, no frayed.... contact the guys at dynojet sending the unit in for testing, aka - they're gonna replace it.. same thing happened to my friend when his PC messed up.. god i can't wait to get it back.. it might be snowing, but damn if that thing doesn't feel funny running on stock ECU w/ a full akro system..

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.
Jesus rode a Harley --- It says in the Bible ---- "He was always walking here -- and always walking there".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 08:45 AM
ProStunter.com

Bike: 2003 R6
maybe you are accidentally hitting the cut off switch, I did this many times?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 05:20 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03' red R6
Send a message via AIM to WFMATRESS
03' cutting out

I have an 03'. It is a very good bike, but it has a problem that i cannot or yamaha dealers themselves cannot diagnose. Every now and than i'll be sitting at a stop light when all the sudden the bike will start surging (almost as if its starved of fuel). it'll jump up to 1500 rpms than down below 1k....than up than down..than it finally just quits.... the only way to get it to run normal again is to switch the key off than on....than all is fine until the next episode occurs( sometimes later that day or sometimes two weeks later)....in the process of trying to fix this problem...

had new coils put in (because of the bulletin on bad coils that year)
put in a whole new battery
put in an aftermarket air filter (k&n)
had new plugs put in and a so called "tuneup" by yamaha dealer

this has not yet seemed to fix the problem which itself is really a hit and miss kind of thing...it seems to really act up whenever i give her the nuts such as riding wheelies one after the other or sometimes when the temp is warm 75+ degrees....

if you have any ideas or have had similar problems...please feel free to share your knowledge... thanks all.................
post #29 of 204 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 AM
ProStunter.com

Bike: 2003 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMATRESS
I have an 03'. It is a very good bike, but it has a problem that i cannot or yamaha dealers themselves cannot diagnose. Every now and than i'll be sitting at a stop light when all the sudden the bike will start surging (almost as if its starved of fuel). it'll jump up to 1500 rpms than down below 1k....than up than down..than it finally just quits.... the only way to get it to run normal again is to switch the key off than on....than all is fine until the next episode occurs( sometimes later that day or sometimes two weeks later)....in the process of trying to fix this problem...

had new coils put in (because of the bulletin on bad coils that year)
put in a whole new battery
put in an aftermarket air filter (k&n)
had new plugs put in and a so called "tuneup" by yamaha dealer

this has not yet seemed to fix the problem which itself is really a hit and miss kind of thing...it seems to really act up whenever i give her the nuts such as riding wheelies one after the other or sometimes when the temp is warm 75+ degrees....

if you have any ideas or have had similar problems...please feel free to share your knowledge... thanks all.................

I had the same problem, but it was only happening in the winter, I truly think it has something to do with the gas sold to us, I believe they are altering it, expecially during the winter?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #30 of 204 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 03 Yamaha R6 - Black
I've heard it also could be the TPS (throttle positioning sensors)
Mine loses power when i take off, like it was running out of petrol until 3k rpm then it would be fine. Its at the dealers getting fixed now so will what the problem was or still is. They reckon its the spark plug caps that need changing so hopefully thats the only problem.

Not sure about the coils as im in Australia and havnt heard of this being a problem here but i emailed yamaha Australia and this is what they had to say:

We have not issued such a bulletin to Australian dealers. While we acknowledge that some of our models have suffered problems with coils, we have taken this on a case by case basis depending on such things as age of bike and condition etc. If you believe your motorcycle is suffering from such a problem we suggest you have it inspected by an authorised Yamaha dealer for a report to us. Please understand that this is not a guarantee we will assist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in