03+ R6 Engine Cutting out - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to penfold
03+ R6 Engine Cutting out

There has been alot of talk about engines cutting out lately on the 03+ bikes. I've seen it posted on other boards as well. I recieved a request via PM to make this a sticky and shall do so in the effort that everyone can, as a group, use our collective heads to try and solve this problem.....

here is the PM.......

yo PENFOLD. i'v noticed a serious problem with 03R6 bikes where the engine cuts out, there seems to be hundreds of Rsixers with the problem. i'm am contacting you and other R6 websites, to try to bring this problem to light and try to fix it. I have placed a list of questions at this URL.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please could you setup a STICKY on your site so people with this problem can answer the questions, so we can find the problem before someone gets hurt.

AS i said i'v also contacted other R6 websites because its gonna take all Rsixers working together to work it out.

I DO NOT KNOW ALL OF THE DIFFERENT R6 WEBSITES , I ONLY KNOW A FEW, SO PLEASE PASS ON THESE DETAILS TO OTHER R6 SITES MODERATORS PLEASE.

My 2 cents on reading thru the R6MN thread is that the Power Commander seems to be involved in just about every instance. What someone needs to do is to is disconnect their PC3 and see if that affects anything. might make it run a little ruff with the additional mods that a PC3 helps out but it should help you atleast identify if it is the PC3 or something else. Make sure you check all connections from the PC3 to the stock harness. Might even slice open the shrink wrap sheathing on the PC3 leads to make sure no wires are frayed or lossely connected and then reshrink wrap them.

any thoughts or ideas or contributions of any sort are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Z

I can tell you that I have NEVER had a problem with my R6. And I guarantee I run it harder than any street rider.

Of course, I don't have a PC-III so it is likely that is the culpret.

I have heard some less than flattering reviews of the PC-III. Most of the stuff I have heard is that it will erase your maps by itself. A few mentions of it sending screwed up information and the bike starts running like crap... or it just completely shorts out and stops working altogether, then suddenly stats working again.

I think after seeing this and thinking of the negative stuff I have seen in the past, I will probably hold off for a better FI product before doing any engine/exhaust mods.
post #3 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyR6
or it just completely shorts out and stops working altogether, then suddenly stats working again.
that's exactly what sounds like is happening.

Yosh makes one.....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

there is also a way to alter the a/f ratio on the stock ECU's. a long read but worth it as it might help you out with racing and everything.

the R6 performance manual thing they mention towards the end can be found here and the settings description can be found on pages 28-32

post #4 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Z

Thanks for the links bro.
post #5 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Hey, if it helps you win races then all the better! As long as you wear a hat that says "Penfold Rulez!" after you win the race though!
post #6 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:55 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6
Send a message via AIM to OCboy03R6
when i had my 03 r6 i had the same engine cutting out prolem explained. and while i was riding it it didnt seem like it use to, i dont know what the problem was to this day.

the shut off problem was when i was just sitting on my bike in neutral at a light or somthing. i would be sitting there and it would sound like its not getting enough gas or somthing and the rpm's would be bouncing irratically (around where it normally idles) then it would just die on me. it would start back up and ride but a new r6 should not be doing this. i checked my coils but the dealer said they were fine (hard to believe). other then that i dont know what could be the problem with it. anyone had this problem? it also didnt feel like it was running right when i gave it gas, felt like it lost power from when i first got it. theres my input, i still want to see what the 05's are going to be like.
post #7 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to RedlineR6
OCboy, I GUARANTEE you it was your coils!! $10 said your dealer just took it for a quick test ride and decided it was running just fine----> the reason i did mine myself

I KILL GROUNDHOGS! Remember that today furry friend!
post #8 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 01:41 PM
max speed

Bike: 2003 Blue R6
After I had my bike alarm installed I had the cutting out problem. It turned out to be an electrical problem also. I fixed it by getting power directly from the battery and doubling up on the ground wires and that did the trick. Just have to be carful with the wiring on these bikes I guess or something gets messed up.

2003 Blue R6 [email protected]

Chad
post #9 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 09:04 AM
I eat my R6

as i mentioned before my problem was caused by my PC3, its just been returned here is a copy of the email for Dynojet UK
Quote:
We received your Power Commander on the 9 th July, tested it, found a fault, rectified it and returned it to the dealer ( by RMSD) on the 27th July, they should have it.

Regards

Frank Wrathall

Dynojet UK Ltd 01995 600 500
its abit basic but proves there is a problem with the PC3,BUT there is a mix of problems here being put under one "umberella" so it will only apply to a small few of bikes

THE MILEAGE MURDERER,SCRATCHIN ASSASSIN

---------------------------------
post #10 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 11:04 AM
My R6 eats me.

wow, only 8 replies? Christ. hundreds of 6ers have this issue on their 03's and it isn't just that bad batch of PCIIIs that were being distributed. There is a far greater thread with some godo trial and error in it over on that forum as well. But if anybody else has this problem here, check out

191 replies in that one dating back 2 years ago.

I am goign to be working on it heavily for the next month or so and will try to keep this site updated as well.

While each bike tends to be special in its own case, some sysmptoms are the same. The bike cuts off for many reasons and under different circumstances, so one solution won't work for everyone.

Anyways, the list of check offs will be

1.) Coils (Mitsus instead of teh Denzos
2.) Battery (already replaced)
3.) TPS sensor cleansing
4.) code clearing
5.) Electrical wiring
6.) Stator
7.) other sensors known to cause shut off

*If anybody else here has gotten their bike "fixed" then respond. Figured more then 1 person on this whol eforum has had this issue.

Thankyou. Cant believe this issue just died. Good ol, "Glad its not me"

_D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in