FIXED: Code 19, crank no start - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:31 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: FIXED: Code 19, crank no start

Did the same thing to my ignition switch, that I did to "fix" the horn, kill, and turn-signal switches... I bathed it in silicon spray lubricant and repeatedly operated it. (disconnect the battery negative so you can rapidly key on/off without screwing with the ECU) Initially its drain was clogged with old powdered graphite lubricant but all the spray cleared it. Clearing all that powdered graphite lubricant made the key very difficult turn-on so I fetched a fresh key and destroyed the old copy. Then I added a *tiny* bit of powdered graphite back. (TIP: always copy your original key and store the original away - do NOT keep using the original key - use only as a master for making copies)

I put the word "fix" in quotes because I've had to periodically repeat with turn signal switch. This last time I treated it, I unscrewed the halves of the box for complete/direct access, which has proven to be more effective thus far. Can't really do that with the ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 PM
My R6 eats me.

Lightbulb Re: FIXED: Code 19, crank no start

Just to follow up with this post and help folks in the future. I put in a temporary fix for my problem. It turned out the Main Ignition Switch is BAD. When turned on the Power signal is switched applying power to the electronics and computer via the Brown / Blue wire.

I discovered the small signal that comes from the ECU, (Blue/Black) that I show +10V DC on was not returning back from the main switch via the blue/yellow wire. I could not determine if the switch has and sort of resistive load in it and did not want to fry the computer. I dropped a 1K resister across those two signal wire back at the computer and that set the diagnostic circuit 20 to True or "on" Now D20 and D21 both show on, and it cranked over a few times, then fired up. My Error code 19 issue went away.

I am currently not in the mood for having to replace the main switch, gas tank cap, and rear seats key, so it will likely stay in this condition for the rest of the time I own the bike. I'll let the new owner know just so he is aware.

I hope someone reading this finds this useful before spending hours scratching their head. The fault code is very misleading in this case..

The main switch should be included in the service manual as part of the diagnostics tree, but that's a big miss on the part of the technical writers at Yamaha. I'm all for team yamaha, but that should be very basic content for a service manual.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 PM
I eat my R6

Cool. Questions:
1) Is the Blue/Black 10v constant or is it only present when the key is turned?
2) If it is constant, does adding the resistor increase parasitic battery drain by keeping some part of the ECU live when keyed-off?
3) Also confirm what generation motorcycle... 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Cool. Questions:
1) Is the Blue/Black 10v constant or is it only present when the key is turned?
2) If it is constant, does adding the resistor increase parasitic battery drain by keeping some part of the ECU live when keyed-off?
3) Also confirm what generation motorcycle... 1st, 2nd or 3rd?
Yes, Blue/Black is only present when key is turned on, no parasitic battery drain to worry about. I could likely be find to just short the wires.... (However, I have ready mixed reviews on that and I have not tested that option... It's working and I'm lazy and specs on the main switch are not easily available so that will come at a later date.

I don't know the generation... again not something I've found easily... it is a 2009 R6S.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:42 AM
I eat my R6

Cool. That's a 2nd Generation R6 motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in