FIXED: Code 19, crank no start - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 r6
FIXED: Code 19, crank no start

Picked up my r6 and it wasn't running. Previous owner said shop told him it needed an ECU. Would not crank over and had a few fault codes, 19 sidestand switch, 12 crankshaft position switch, 35(?) for tilt angle sensor.

Replaced my kickckstand switch, code 19 still there. Replaced crankshaft position switch and the fault code 12 went away. Found that the tilt angle sensor wasn't even mounted so I mounted it properly and the code for the tilt angle sensor went away.

I also noticed the neutral switch wasn't working because the cluster wouldn't indicate neutral even though it was. I replaced that switch with the kickstand switch but still the same problem with no crank. I reviewed the wiring and found this starter cut-off relay (recently replaced by shop), and tried to bypass it somehow. I found the neutral wire (Sky blue i believe) and grounded it (because for some reason it wasn't closing even in neutral), I then got a neutral light on in the dash, tried to crank it and it started cranking!

No start though and still had a code 19. After reviewing this forum, I found out about that common issue with the ignition wire harness rubbing against the fan blade. Surely, my wiring has been rubbed through and exposed. i repaired the wiring in that harness. Still cranking, but no start. I decided to jump 2 wires to ground at the cut off relay, blue black and blue yellow (if i remember correctly...), squeezed the clutch lever, then gave it a crank... IT STARTS! But dies when I release the clutch lever. So to get around, I just disconnected the clutch switch. It rides fine and I have a new cut-off relay, kickstand switch, and neutral switch on the way. Going to replace those asap.

I ripped open the the starter cut-off switch, and found a few diodes blew out. Must've been when the wiring harness shorted from rubbing.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Right now the bike isn't really safe because It's capable to be started in gear, can be moved in gear if kickstand is down, can be started without clutch lever pulled, and the kill switch doesn't do anything because it's jumped.

I saw alot of people with fault code 19, replacing the kick stand switch and ECU, and still having problems. Problem is the starter cut-off relay going bad, because of the bad wiring on the ignition harness. So fix the harness, and replace the cut-off relay. Do not replace the cut-off relay without fixing the harness or else you can short out numerous sensors on the bike which will add even more labor and money. Don't throw an ecu at it just because someone told you to. trace your wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Urgh6

Re: FIXED: Code 19, crank no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz10xD View Post
I saw alot of people with fault code 19, replacing the kick stand switch and ECU, and still having problems. Problem is the starter cut-off relay going bad, because of the bad wiring on the ignition harness. So fix the harness, and replace the cut-off relay. Do not replace the cut-off relay without fixing the harness or else you can short out numerous sensors on the bike which will add even more labor and money. Don't throw an ecu at it just because someone told you to. trace your wires.
I am having the code 19 issue intermittently. The bike will start no issue then at certain times it wont start and display code 19. I will turn the kill switch and key off wait a half minute or so then turn kill switch on and key on and bike will start fine. Would being able to start without the clutch pulled in lead me to believe this is the same issue you had with your code 19? because i can currently start bike without clutch pulled in as long as bike is in neutral. All dash lights work though as they should. I know this is an old post but this seems to be the one post with the same issue and an actual solution to the problem. Thank you for any input you can possibly give.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz10xD View Post
I saw alot of people with fault code 19, replacing the kick stand switch and ECU, and still having problems. Problem is the starter cut-off relay going bad, because of the bad wiring on the ignition harness. So fix the harness, and replace the cut-off relay. Do not replace the cut-off relay without fixing the harness or else you can short out numerous sensors on the bike oowhich will add even more labor and money. Don't throw an ecu at it just because someone told you to. trace your wires.
I am having the code 19 issue intermittently. The bike will start no issue then at certain times it wont start and display code 19. I will turn the kill switch and key off wait a half minute or so then turn kill switch on and key on and bike will start fine. Would being able to start without the clutch pulled in lead me to believe this is the same issue you had with your code 19? because i can currently start bike without clutch pulled in as long as bike is in neutral. All dash lights work though as they should. I know this is an old post but this seems to be the one post with the same issue and an actual solution to the problem. Thank you for any input you can possibly
Have you recently just got the bike? Sounds like the clutch switch is either stuck or bypassed. And ur kickstand or neutral switch is starting to go out. Regardless i dont think the kickstand switch should prevent a startup, unless your in gear of course with kickstand down.

Makes me lead to a neutral switch giving a false gear reading, or that starter relay acting up.

My bike would also have the same symptoms after i washed it because water would get into the kill switch

03 r6
-Integrated Taillamp-Yoshimura RS-3-Frame Sliders-Fender Eliminator-HID's-

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:30 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclang View Post
I am having the code 19 issue intermittently. The bike will start no issue then at certain times it wont start and display code 19. I will turn the kill switch and key off wait a half minute or so then turn kill switch on and key on and bike will start fine. Would being able to start without the clutch pulled in lead me to believe this is the same issue you had with your code 19? because i can currently start bike without clutch pulled in as long as bike is in neutral. All dash lights work though as they should. I know this is an old post but this seems to be the one post with the same issue and an actual solution to the problem. Thank you for any input you can possibly give.
you should be able to start a yamaha in N without touching the clutch lever. 100% normal. other brands like suzuki need the lever pulled in no matter what.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 11-04-2017 at 04:40 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Split my driver seat open pounding the ice off of it this time last week. Had enough experiences with poor quality rear seats on Amazon. FleaBay? Ehehehehe... that's funny.

Arrived at a local reupholstery shop Saturday morning on a 15-20 minute ride. It was flat ground so I parked it in neutral. Roughly five minutes later, came back out, stood beside the bike, key-in, green light staring me in the face, gave it a short crank expecting it to fire up as always. Dead crank. (crank but no start) Figured my crank was too short. Finished putting my gloves back on. Several seconds later gave it a slightly longer crank. Same thing. Hmmm. Hopped on, kickstand up, straightened out the handle bars ready for it to fire up on an even longer crank. Gave it a long crank. Again a dead crank. During the crank it *briefly* flashed '19'. Hmm. Whipped out the Windows Mobile phone intending to search the PDF manual for the fault code. Before I got far, decideded to key-off and try again. This time it fired up on a short crank as if the whole previous episode never happened. Pocketed the phone and went straight home.

In the driveway, did several stop and starts; all normal. Looked up the fault code in the PDF manual; side-stand switch. Quick visual inspection revealed nothing unusual. I didn't expect to find anything because the state of the kickstand is irrelevant in neutral; or should be. Couple of weeks ago I happened to notice that my clutch switch wasn't working and hadn't yet gotten around to pulling off, cleaning up and protecting the blade contacts with silicon spray and dielectric grease. But again, in neutral that should also be (and verifiably has been) irrelevant.

Intending to test the side stand and neutral switches, I found it was nearly impossible to get into diagnostic mode. Instead, kept getting into display brightness mode. Had no problems changing settings once there. Few times I did get to the Diag screen, I couldn't advance from there. One time I could but couldn't change anything. Couple of times I cycled through clock-set mode. Clock being wrong, decided may as well set it. Well, that attempt revealed something...

My Reset button was apparently stuck. Pulled the automotive plastic push-ins out of the windshield cowel, remove the windshield and cluster. Opened up and...

This aftermarket gauge cluster case allows the pad to 'sidestep' the button.

That fixed, could get into diag mode. Sidestand and neutral switches of course tested flawless. Never did locate the test for the clutch lever switch; but took the opportunity to address that issue as well. Confirmed, when the trans is in neutral, the sidestand switch is pretty much hard-set.

Nothing making sense about this one-time anomoly, took to searching the forum...

Well, well, well. Lot of posts about this.

Upon reading this post, went and looked at that ignition lock ("main switch" in manual) wire harness...

Friday, (last night) was a wet ride. Suspect that water in the harness, along with the insulation breaks is what allowed this to occur. Of course it can't be reproduce now. In the past I've gotten a metallic-electrical smell when riding wet. But that kind of went away the last year or so. Last night I sat and idled for an extended time, waiting on a train. Engine temp got to around a 183F, (unusual for the Winter months,) bit of steam rising through the coweling. No wind, sitting still, engine getting warm, the smell had an opportunity make itself obvious again. I'm wondering if that had been the source of the smell all along? Probably not, but time will tell. I had searched the forum sometime last year and there was little of nothing.

Will be pulling apart the harness and posting pics if there's anything interesting. I did check against the manual's wire routing diagram. Didn't notice anything that was blatently wrong for the exposed sections. But I'll be paying careful attention and making sure that harnesses are properly routed with tie-downs.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:32 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

it doesn't actually have a clutch lever switch test. you have to do it old school with a multimeter set on continuity.
how did the jacket on the wires get cut up like that?

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 03-08-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:37 AM
I eat my R6

That explains why I couldn't find one. Connecting and disconnecting the switch seemed to trigger a relay; making noise. In the manual, it's wired into the starting circuit cut-off relay... which actually seems to be a module of two relays, several diodes and a resistor.

Like my OEM driver seat, the material has gotten brittle with age; far worse when it's cold. Insulation on the wires beneath is breaking just from movement. (see the yellow wire in photo) The harness runs between the steering head and body, is a little twisted and rubs against the frame as the steering head is moved.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 AM
I eat my R6

This has happened again, but when things had been dried out for awhile. The only thing that "resolves" the code is cycling the ignition key. Given that I've experienced issues out of every heavily used control switch except headlight and starter, there's a good chance that this code is being produced by a bad connection in the ignition switch itself, rather than the wiring.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:01 PM
My R6 eats me.

I am actually wondering if I am having a similar issue because of the ignition switch too..
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:20 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
This has happened again, but when things had been dried out for awhile. The only thing that "resolves" the code is cycling the ignition key. Given that I've experienced issues out of every heavily used control switch except headlight and starter, there's a good chance that this code is being produced by a bad connection in the ignition switch itself, rather than the wiring.
Did you resolve your issue. What was the root cause or solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in