How to remove stuck rear axle (07 R6) - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2007 R6 & 2006 R6
How to remove stuck rear axle (07 R6)

Good day everybody,

I'm attempting to remove the tires from my 2007 R6, and ran into some trouble with the rear axle. I removed the rear tire on my 2006 R6 with no trouble, so I'm familiar with the process.

I've done everything I can think of to get the rear axle out of the 07. Nut and bolt have been removed, I've put something under the rear tire so it isn't hanging free, I've pushed and hit the axle with a hammer hoping it would pop out the other side, but it doesn't budge.

After some research I found a thread on a CBR forum where the guy had the same issue, hit the axle with a rubber mallet and the thing finally popped out (apparently his was covered in rust).

Do any of you know of any tricks/tips to removing a stuck axle with simple tools?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 AM
I eat my R6

Re: How to remove stuck rear axle (07 R6)

Loosen both adjusters on the sides and then try using the mallet again. Also can try some wd-40 or liquid wrench at the ends of the axle.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bronco View Post
Loosen both adjusters on the sides and then try using the mallet again. Also can try some wd-40 or liquid wrench at the ends of the axle.
Are the adjusters the two bolts on the end of the swing arm?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

you need a penetrating oil like pb blaster or mix your own with trans fluid & acetone.

Hit it with a rubber mallet... or put a block of wood over it before striking. You dont want to peen (mushroom) the end.

Yeah cbrs suck ass from the factory. What little grease comes on the axle seizes. Took me about 5 mins to remove one. Royal pia.

Also you dont need 50,000 lbs of force on the rear axle nut. 40lb ft is enough. (way less than 1/2 oem recommends). If youre worried about it coming loose... safety wire it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
you need a penetrating oil like pb blaster or mix your own with trans fluid & acetone.

Hit it with a rubber mallet... or put a block of wood over it before striking. You dont want to peen (mushroom) the end.

Yeah cbrs suck ass from the factory. What little grease comes on the axle seizes. Took me about 5 mins to remove one. Royal pia.

Also you dont need 50,000 lbs of force on the rear axle nut. 40lb ft is enough. (way less than 1/2 oem recommends). If youre worried about it coming loose... safety wire it.

So I got it to slide out about 1/2 inch by smashing the other end with a hammer, but it did start to mushroom a bit. You're saying I should spray some pb blaster down in there and that should help?

The damnedest thing is, when I attempted to pry the axle out with a hammer on the chain side, I can see the axle sinking in on the exhaust side. Then when I lose grip it snaps back like it's on a f'in spring.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbikeford View Post
So I got it to slide out about 1/2 inch by smashing the other end with a hammer, but it did start to mushroom a bit. You're saying I should spray some pb blaster down in there and that should help?

The damnedest thing is, when I attempted to pry the axle out with a hammer on the chain side, I can see the axle sinking in on the exhaust side. Then when I lose grip it snaps back like it's on a f'in spring.
it tapers down abit on the threaded side. You definitely need to soak it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 AM
nom nom nom nom nom nom

Stop hitting it directly with a hammer unless you want to buy a new axle. Get a dead blow hammer, or use a 2x4 between the hammer and the axle. The axle isn't "snapping back like a spring", you are flexing the swingarm. The axle is most likely stuck on one of the wheel bearings.

Everything stated above is all you need.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Stop hitting it directly with a hammer unless you want to buy a new axle. Get a dead blow hammer, or use a 2x4 between the hammer and the axle. The axle isn't "snapping back like a spring", you are flexing the swingarm. The axle is most likely stuck on one of the wheel bearings.

Okay. I'll try the wood thing and see what happens. That worked for the guy on the CBR forum so, who knows. I definitely don't want to buy a new axle.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:43 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 03 R6, 07 R6, '10 S1000RR

Theyre cheap on eBay. Haha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

This. And if you absolutely must hammer directly on the threads, at least thread on the nut most of the way by hand before you start hammering away. it will save the threads from getting destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in