Another R6 with a hole because of a broken chain. - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 02:23 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Another R6 with a hole because of a broken chain.

well I doubt the owner (boss) would let me use it on a weekend without anyone else there. he's not all that nice of a guy.
I've made things in the past but they were on my lunch break. very small quickly made parts that took me a week to make. the problem is that kind of a part would take that machine probably 6 hrs to cut. that machine can't be left running unattended such as overnight because it throws the tool coolant on the ground. (shitty design) if it runs out of coolant it will break a tool or ruin the part. and I have no bike to take measurements from and test fit. I have a 2015 R1 now and sold my R6.

I've thought about talking to him about making stuff when we are slow. such as brake levers, rearsets, clip ons, maybe engine covers. I'm not as good with the cad software as the other guy there so I'd have to get him to design all the stuff. and I can't afford that software to use at home (it's $7k) so we can only use it on 1 of the computers we have at work. due to licensing bs.
I really wish I could make you something but I honestly couldn't due to those reasons. if I had that bad boy at home I could.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 12-18-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Well yesterday I started on the adventure. Got the garage all set up and started digging into it. Learned a few things too like the fact that there was already one broken exhaust stud, and now there were 2 more. Really frustrating too since I had the nuts/studs soaking in acetone/atf mix and heated the shit out of the stuck ones only to still snap them. Oh well, looks like I need to get a stud puller and can fix all three at once.

Full disclosure, this is the first bike motor I have ever dropped and dug into, unless you count my CRF 50. :P So it's going to be a slow process for me, and honestly not sure how it will turn out.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Broken studs:

Also found this on there, I'm told it was a "luck" thing.

This is where I left it last night.

Struggling to get underneath the throttle bodies to get to their clamps. I can see the outside ones but can't get in well enough to turn them much. I ready that a ball end allen wrench will be best for this so I went to HD this morning and got me a nice long ball end ratchet set. Going to give them a go tomorrow night.

Was considering dropping the motor with the TB's still on, but not sure if it will clear the frame. Anyone know?
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Welp got the motor out! Now begins the real fun.

Definitely will need a better jack and some help to get the motor back in. Next step is pulling the trans out to get to the bearings where it will need to be welded at.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Going to be starting this back up soon. It's been sitting for a year because I had to get my truck ready for a cross country trip to wheel Moab.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:34 PM
My R6 eats me.

Did you ever get this finished?
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Not yet, but soon, very soon. Have the hole welded up, gotta get the motor back in. Had 3 broken studs to deal with, one ended up snapping flush, got one out with a stud extractor, and I'm going to try to weld a nut to the third one because the stud extractor won't grip.

Lot's and lot's of photos coming soon for anyone else who is going through this.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

After 3 years of neglect, here is finally the progress.

Got the throttle bodies off, and out of the way. Then I removed the shifter cover, the stator cover and the starter. This gave the welder plenty of space to get in there and close it up.

by
, on Flickr

by
, on Flickr

I cleaned the **** out of the spot as well as the piece that was supposed to be welded back on.

by
, on Flickr

In the end the welder decided to fab his own cover.

by
, on Flickr

by
, on Flickr

From there I went on to cleaning the left overs of the old gaskets and sealing everything back up.

by
, on Flickr

by
, on Flickr

After that I went on to pulling the snapped studs. One broke flush, another came out with the stud extractor.

by
, on Flickr

by
, on Flickr

The last one even the stud extractor couldn't grab. I decided to buy a Lincoln buzz box and learn how to weld SMAW to get the last one off.

Practiced on one I removed and then setup the real thing. The knife was a spacer to make the nut sit level.

by
, on Flickr

by
, on Flickr

by
, on Flickr

A couple tacks of 6013 and it came out. So stoked. Going to attempt to get the one that snapped flush, then putting it back together. If I can't get it I'm not super worried. The rest should keep the exhaust from leaking. Going to likely paint the tank and get new plastics, and then it's time to ride.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM
My R6 eats me.

Did you split the case to weld it?
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk85 View Post
Did you split the case to weld it?
Nope, just did exactly what I described and shown in the photos. No need thankfully.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 AM
My R6 eats me.

I've known multiple Volar brand chains break. 1 guy got lucky and it just took out the water pump on his busa, the other guy on the R1 it put a hole in the case and bent the transmission shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in