Another R6 with a hole because of a broken chain. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Another R6 with a hole because of a broken chain.

Alright well I fell victim to the previous owners shit maintenance with their chain and now have a lovely hole in the motor. Seems the general consensus is to split the cases and have it welded. I'm relatively mechanically inclined so I think I can do it. I already downloaded a service manual, any other tips anyone can offer? Seems like this is the most active R6 forum I've seen.

Some pics:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll probably use this thread to document the process and for my own sanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:14 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Another R6 with a hole because of a broken chain.

wow man, thats really shitty, I think your best bet is what others have aid, just take apart and have it welded back.

Good luck.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:58 AM
I eat my R6

Its easy to blame other people when shit happens. How long did you have the bike before it happened. Chain looks really dirty, even the swingarm bolt looks rusted. If you bought the bike like that you should've done some maintenance on it. Clean the bike, adjust chain, even change it if the bike is older and have some miles on it

Sent from

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doidera00 View Post
Its easy to blame other people when shit happens. How long did you have the bike before it happened. Chain looks really dirty, even the swingarm bolt looks rusted. If you bought the bike like that you should've done some maintenance on it. Clean the bike, adjust chain, even change it if the bike is older and have some miles on it

Sent from
Oh I do take some accountability, I had it only for a year, I should have just replaced the chain from the jump. As far as cleaning/lubing/adjusting goes I had it adjusted pretty well, and lube it once a week. The rust you see isn't from the bike itself, it's from the steel crash cage that was on it. I know the previous owner isn't totally at fault, I take responsibility for my **** ups. But the previous owner wasn't exactly a mechanical genius, the first thread I ever posted on here was when I was blowing wheel bearings because the previous owner had removed the axle spacer tube.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:16 AM
I eat my R6

I tend do go thru the hole bike when i buy a used one. Motorcycle is dangerous as it is, and i dont trust maintenance done by other people. For my own piece of mind, i like to redo all

Sent from
TurboBlew likes this.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

what sucks is someone used to make a billet chain guard to replace that soft rubber one. but I can't seem to find it.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:33 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
what sucks is someone used to make a billet chain guard to replace that soft rubber one. but I can't seem to find it.

You can always have one custom build.

Sent from
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

Quote:
They made them for 3rd gens, but the only ones that were made to fit a 2nd gen were for the mini car guys, and the counter shaft sprocket had to be a 14 tooth for it to fit. Which sucks because it was the 2nd gen that had issues with keeping sprocket nuts on, so that is the model that needed it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:40 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doidera00 View Post
You can always have one custom build.

Sent from
well I don't need one anymore but technically "I" could make one...

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:59 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
well I don't need one anymore but technically "I" could make one...

Nice. Ive been looking for one for my track bike. Are you whiling to make it

Sent from
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in