2004 R6 Fuel Leak - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2004 R6 Fuel Leak

Hello, first time user, so please bear with me...
My bike has developed a fuel leak, and it looks like it's coming from the return (photo attached)... it has a bit of up/down movement, so I assume that an o ring has perished... pulled it apart, and see that the internal part of it has little tabs around it... Common sense leads me to deduce that if the tabs are pushed in, the piece slides out the bottom, then an o ring can put on, and the piece slid back into the body... Alas, there doesn't seem to be any movement with these tabs to get it out... Please help:frown
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	505.6 KB
ID:	344217  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:24 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange
Re: 2004 R6 Fuel Leak

Sounds like you have the right idea, however Yamaha will be less than helpful. They only sell the complete fuel pump and no replacement orings. I would search to find a good used one and put that one in or if you can find a pump that doesnt work but the body is good you can put the two together and make one good unit

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Cheers for your reply... The Yamaha dude told me to come back when I get it apart, and the pic is as far as I got, so I'll get in there later this week and see if he'll be nice enough to get it out for me... A suitable o-ring can be bought anywhere, so I'm not too phased about that...
In case the guy is an arsehole, I've had a read from people who have had similar plights, and am lead to believe that seal-all works well (clear, fuel and oil resistant), my only worry with that is with the up and down play with the return spigot - does it need that 1/2mm distance between its base and the body?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:07 AM
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.

Bike: 2007 R6

i was about to say Loctite Marine Epoxy. Works freekin wonders. Just give it WAY more than enough time to set/dry. You don't want to mess around with redoing that.

Yeah Yamaha, be careful, he is going to charge you an arm and a leg for that. You could also check out Babbits Online warehouse. They supply all OEM parts for our bikes.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Trixim; 10-03-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: replace words
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Cheers for the response, Trixim... Does the 1/2mm up/down play thing make any difference? If not, I'll just seal the bastard...
Thanks again☻
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:51 PM
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taavi Lokisen View Post
Cheers for the response, Trixim... Does the 1/2mm up/down play thing make any difference? If not, I'll just seal the bastard...
Thanks again☻
The following information is all AFTER my personal recommendation: which is to replace the entire unit since it is damaged, as they are really not that expensive and it is a critical piece. Fuel is not something to take lightly, fuel and the fumes it vaporizes into are highly flammable. I do not recommend repairing fuel leaks. Just replace.

Now for the info:

From my personal knowledge it's possible for the plastics to wear down at those joints, it's not very high quality, but it still can be an O-ring.
By any change did you allow your tank to sit empty for a long time? This will allow the plastics and rubber seals to dry and crack as they are brittle when dry.

Finally to answer your question, just make sure you have a nice seal with the epoxy, once you smush some epoxy in there, you will probably stop the wiggle if its thats small. Again LET IT FULLY SET BEFORE USING IT AGAIN.

Take your time with this. Make sure you have a nice seal, without too much excess epoxy. If you need, i recommend watching some videos on how to use marine epoxy to make watertight seals! Check / practice until you are confident you can execute it perfectly.

I am so adamant about it being right because if you really mess this up, you should remove all the epoxy (just thing of what that would entail) before retrying.

That said, if you do this properly, it could last you freekin ages.

Last edited by Trixim; 10-03-2017 at 03:00 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Hi again, Trixim, and cheers for the advice... They are expensive, it's about 700 bucks on this side of the pond for one (charlatans)... Which to me is criminal because it's a 2 dollar o-ring at the very most, anywhere you could buy one other than Yamaha... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... I'm super happy if the mechanic is nice enough to show me how to get it out, which I think is fair enough as I'll be buying one of their ridiculously priced o-rings for the base anyway, so it's not like they are doing it for free
Yes, the bike sat for about a year, winterised with an empty tank, so I guess that's what happened... The plastic itself throughout the vessel seems
good...
Thanks for steering towards the videos... I certainly will be watching some stuff before I attempt it, and probably letting it dry for 48 hours, as the tube says it cures in 6... I really don't want to do it twice
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 AM
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.

my lord.....
A new assembly in the states is around $140 US dollars.

You must be in Siberia or something......

- It really does, rev your heart.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

lol, australia... siberia would probably be better... id be able to get a black market one on the cheap☻
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 04:29 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixim View Post
my lord.....
A new assembly in the states is around $140 US dollars.

You must be in Siberia or something......
not for a oem fuel pump assembly. it's about $420 online
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a fuel pump for that model but it has a broken external wiring connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in