• 1 Post By Jason5267

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2000 R6 & 2015 R3
Garage
Motor runs rough about 6000 rpm

Just recently picked up a 2000 R6.
I got it home and realized the tank had some water in it and rust. Took the tank off put it off to the side put a funnel in the fuel line filled it and tried to start it. Cranked over a few times then fired up with a rough idle then it cleared out. Now when I rev it about 6000 it starts to sputter. I cant tell if its flooding, not enough fuel, carbs out of sync or debris in the carbs again (even though the owner just told me he had them cleaned a few weeks ago)
The tank was pretty bad. I tried the old acid trick and ended up eating through the petcock. Tank is pretty clean though for now. The fuel filter was full of rust.

Any opinions on what could be causing it to break up around 6k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:25 PM
My R6 eats me.

Check if all 4 cylinders are running.
Let the engine warm up and put water on each header pipe and see if it burns. If one header does not burn you know the cyclinder which is not working.
In such case check the spark plug and ignition coil.
R6Jay. likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:47 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: R6 2co, KTM 1190A, MT09,
Re: Motor runs rough about 6000 rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojay64 View Post
Just recently picked up a 2000 R6.

I got it home and realized the tank had some water in it and rust. Took the tank off put it off to the side put a funnel in the fuel line filled it and tried to start it. Cranked over a few times then fired up with a rough idle then it cleared out. Now when I rev it about 6000 it starts to sputter. I cant tell if its flooding, not enough fuel, carbs out of sync or debris in the carbs again (even though the owner just told me he had them cleaned a few weeks ago)

The tank was pretty bad. I tried the old acid trick and ended up eating through the petcock. Tank is pretty clean though for now. The fuel filter was full of rust.

Any opinions on what could be causing it to break up around 6k?

People tell lies when selling stuff! If he had the carbs cleaned he would be aware of rust in the tank Iím sure. Follow advise already given and even if ok, check the plugs / replace. Then look at the carbs and consider cleaning as a betting man would put money on those being compromised given state of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan.cross View Post
Check if all 4 cylinders are running.
Let the engine warm up and put water on each header pipe and see if it burns. If one header does not burn you know the cyclinder which is not working.
In such case check the spark plug and ignition coil.
Ill check that as soon as i get home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Jay. View Post
People tell lies when selling stuff! If he had the carbs cleaned he would be aware of rust in the tank Iím sure. Follow advise already given and even if ok, check the plugs / replace. Then look at the carbs and consider cleaning as a betting man would put money on those being compromised given state of the tank.

I did pull the plugs day before yesterday and they did look new and weren't crazy wet. Yesterday, I ran about a gallon of gas through it along with some carb cleaner. When I sprayed carb cleaner in carb 3&4 it lowered the idle. When I sprayed it in 1&2 it raised the idle.

Here's a short video

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It also wont rev about 10,000 rpm. Is that normal or is just something wrong?
Thanks for your feedback!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: R6 2co, KTM 1190A, MT09,

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojay64 View Post
Ill check that as soon as i get home from work.

I did pull the plugs day before yesterday and they did look new and weren't crazy wet. Yesterday, I ran about a gallon of gas through it along with some carb cleaner. When I sprayed carb cleaner in carb 3&4 it lowered the idle. When I sprayed it in 1&2 it raised the idle.

Here's a short video
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It also wont rev about 10,000 rpm. Is that normal or is just something wrong?

Thanks for your feedback!

It should have raised the idle on all carbs I would expect. I would Strip and clean those to be thorough given the state of the tank. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Jay. View Post
It should have raised the idle on all carbs I would expect. I would Strip and clean those to be thorough given the state of the tank. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Thats what I was thinking too, I found a guy to clean them for $100. Fuel filter is on its way, It was BAD with rust in it so Im running the bike through a funnel in the fuel line that goes to the carbs
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Carbs are off at the cleaner and new petcock is here! Time to derust the tank and see what happens!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM
~Faster Than Lightning~

Bike: 05 R6 & 2018 R1

Keep us appraised!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 AM
My R6 eats me.

I had the exact same problem with my 05, when riding it worked perfectly up until about 8k rpm then would sputter and struggle and not rev up any higher, my issue was caused by the main fuel line getting kinked once i set the tank back down, I had replaced it when I resprayed my tank with some generic rubber fuel line. Put some clamps on the fuel line at the point where it kinked, tighten em tight so the line holds it's shape, and it was fixed, never had the problem again. I even noticed that the bike performed better than with the oem line, maybe it also had a small kink that was cutting fuel supply.
R6Jay. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in