2001 R6 Electrical problems, please help! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2005 Yamaha R6
Lightbulb 2001 R6 Electrical problems, please help!

2001 R6 Limited Champions edition 22K miles. There's a lot to cover here so bear with me and read about my pain and agony.

So I've been working on my bike for the past couple of months in heavy frustration and any help at all would be greatly, greatly appreciated. So here's the story. I put my bike away this past December (I live in Minnesota) and left the battery in until it got to be about -20 for the first time, which was most likely my first mistake. Upon taking it out, sometime in mid January I decided to put it back in to hear my babe roar...and that never happened, firstly the battery was dead so I put it on a charger on the 6/12v engine start setting thinking that when she fired that the stator would charge the bike as normal. Well this happened all super fast but I remember cranking on the start button and I hit the headlight switch by mistake at the same time and the bulbs both blew at the same time, which by the way was an easy fix, just replaced the bulbs, however the bike never fired. So I sprayed a very careful amount of ether into the carbs (and yes there are carbs on the first gen R6's) and she fired beautifully off the ether and ran for 5 seconds or so (burning up the rest of the ether fumes) and died. I only repeated this a couple more times because obviously shooting ether down there isn't good and it wasn't staying on. So I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them thoroughly thinking I had a clogged pilot jet, So I knew I had spark and air, so the problem had to be the fuel pump right? correct. So I replaced the fuel pump...and nothing changed. Then I checked the lead that connects to the fuel pump and there's no power. So I checked all the grounds, relays, fuses and everything checked out, so I'm assuming some wire either corroded too much when the battery was connected or went bad when I had the car starter hooked up and blew out my bulbs, all other electronics on the bike appeared to function normally so I didn't want to get a whole new wiring harness so I decided to wire the fuel pump straight to the battery, with the positive lead connected to a switch before hitting the battery so I can turn it off while not riding, and at last, the fuel pumped primed right up and sent fuel to my perfectly cleaned and freshly synced carbs and the bike fires up immediately. So I take her out for a spin because god knows it's been 4 months, and it was great....for about 10 minutes. I noticed the instrument cluster had nothing on it and I immediately knew the battery was dying so I pull over. The battery is brand new so I'm assuming that's not the problem although I'm going to have it tested and will update this if that turned out to be the problem. My question to anybody that has read this far is really about why that battery drained? I think it could possibly be the fuel pump and its makeshift circuit due to the fact that it's not being regulated by any fuses or switches, but I think a good stator would charge everything accordingly regardless. The bike worked perfectly when I put it away but could possibly be the stator I suppose, it's looking pretty rough but I don't have a tool to test it, however everything was working just fine when I put it away for the winter. I never figured out the issue with the fuel pump wiring but I figured that the fuses would blow before any harm was done to the wires so I think corrosion would be the most logical problem here but I'm here asking for opinions. This post has even been a condensed version of all the troubleshooting I went through to try to get this bike ready for season and again any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Also noteworthy, I put in new spark plugs and coils with a little dielectric grease and the bike ran great before the battery died. All electronics work now aside from the battery not getting charge. I like to think I'm rather mechanically inclined but I'm running out of patients here and for the last time, any help at all would be awesome, thanks. Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 AM
My R6 eats me.

Re: 2001 R6 Electrical problems, please help!

Asking a dumb question but how old is the gas? Did you put stabil or another fuel stabilizer in it? If it was working before you put it away none of that stuff should have been bad unless you left it out in the elements.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:10 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Have you tested the voltage regulator?

I'd wonder about the likelihood of a surge blowing out both bulbs and not taking something else in the system with it.

Check out the circuit diagrams for the "Fuel Pump System", "Charging System" and "Lighting System".

It also has a troubleshooting section for these system.

You may find that the circuits have common fuses or other components that explain the problem. Take a look at the "starting circuit cut-off relay".

Voltage drop testing can be used to check for burned wiring. But the basic step of seeing what voltage if any, is reaching the battery should've been performed before going riding. Absolutely avoid running any electrical system (car or bike) without a good, charged battery installed. People assume that the electrical systems are designed to charge dead batteries, but they aren't. A shorted/damaged battery can cause the charging system to burn itself up and/or damage other components.

*** PEOPLE -- DO NOT RELY ON THE CAR/BIKE TO CHARGE A DEAD BATTERY ***
When possible, charge the battery outside of the vehicle first. If you're stranded somewhere and are relying on a jump, obviously you have no choice. Otherwise, charge the battery outside of the vehicle, wait an hour or so then check to see whether the battery stabilizes around 12.6v. If you value your charging system, never knowingly put a bad battery on it. Some batteries never recover after having been run dead. After you reach your destination, wait an hour then check battery voltage. You will slowly burn up your charging system if it is constantly working to charge a bad battery.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR6 View Post
Asking a dumb question but how old is the gas? Did you put stabil or another fuel stabilizer in it? If it was working before you put it away none of that stuff should have been bad unless you left it out in the elements.
I drained the entire fuel system, and replaced it with fresh 91 non oxy, however I didn't put stabil in it which is a mistake I will never make again, as my pilot jets were filthy when I cleaned the carbs!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Have you tested the voltage regulator?

I'd wonder about the likelihood of a surge blowing out both bulbs and not taking something else in the system with it.

Check out the circuit diagrams for the "Fuel Pump System", "Charging System" and "Lighting System".

It also has a troubleshooting section for these system.

You may find that the circuits have common fuses or other components that explain the problem. Take a look at the "starting circuit cut-off relay".

Voltage drop testing can be used to check for burned wiring. But the basic step of seeing what voltage if any, is reaching the battery should've been performed before going riding. Absolutely avoid running any electrical system (car or bike) without a good, charged battery installed. People assume that the electrical systems are designed to charge dead batteries, but they aren't. A shorted/damaged battery can cause the charging system to burn itself up and/or damage other components.

*** PEOPLE -- DO NOT RELY ON THE CAR/BIKE TO CHARGE A DEAD BATTERY ***
When possible, charge the battery outside of the vehicle first. If you're stranded somewhere and are relying on a jump, obviously you have no choice. Otherwise, charge the battery outside of the vehicle, wait an hour or so then check to see whether the battery stabilizes around 12.6v. If you value your charging system, never knowingly put a bad battery on it. Some batteries never recover after having been run dead. After you reach your destination, wait an hour then check battery voltage. You will slowly burn up your charging system if it is constantly working to charge a bad battery.
First of all thank you so much for your feedback and trying to help. The battery turned out to be bad so I got a new one, and so I put it in and like before, she fired right up but this time I made sure to put a multi meter on it as it idled for about 20 minutes up to about 190 degrees before I killed it. The entire time it stayed at a solid 14 like a new battery should, so I killed it and let it sit for a while before trying again, and like before, the battery was testing just fine so I killed it and put the seat back on. Fired her back up and rode it from my shop to my driveway, killed it as I went inside to get my gear on. I came back outside ready to go and again...fired right up and off I went. Meticulously keeping an eye on everything for about 5 Minutes staying under 5k RPM's the entire time, so I pulled off in town by my local gas station and killed it, hopped off to inspect everything again and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but this time she didn't fire up. So there I was again stranded, and frustrated. The battery was dead once again so I sat for a good 30 minutes to let the battery hopefully get some life back and I tried again, and viola I was running again so I rode home and the battery tested good. I've never been more confused in my life. I want to say the stator is doing its job but I'm a bit unsure of how to properly test it. Also I did buy a new starting circuit cutoff relay but it turned out to not be the problem, so now I have two. The only thing that I can think of is that something has to be loose, or poorly connected. More updates to come, and again thanks for the reply!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:57 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

There are flow charts scattered throughout these forums and internet that can help you test the charging system.

My guess is you have an issue with your wiring. Something is drawing current when your bike is off thus draining your battery. You can perform a parasitic draw test by measuring amps across the battery and pulling fuse by fuse till you find your culprit. Google search for a good how-to if you're unfamiliar.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:32 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT2P View Post
......... battery .......... bad ... got a new one, ........ put a multi meter on it ... idled for about 20 minutes ... about 190 degrees ... entire time it stayed at a solid 14 ............ battery was testing just fine .......................... .............. pulled off in town by my local gas station and killed it, ...................... but this time she didn't fire up. ................... The battery was dead once again so I sat for a good 30 minutes to let the battery hopefully get some life back and I tried again, and viola I was running .................................................. .......................
Charging system is probably "part-timing" you. I had an alternator with worn out brushes on a prior car that did that. It would circumstantially under-charge at low-RPM, sometimes stop charging at higher RPM. It over-charged (ran at full field) due to bad engine-to-frame grounding which fried them in as little as ten minutes, as much as several hours.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:33 PM
I eat my R6

I am assuming that your "no start" is actually a "no crank" by the way. Clarify if this assumption is incorrect.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 PM
My R6 eats me.

Yes, please confirm no crank or no start.

If it’s no start, but will crank without issue, it could be a fueling issue. If your diaphragm (breather valve) in your fuel tank cap has plugged over the winter, you would get fuel for a 5-10 min ride. As the vacuum builds in the tank, it creates negative pressure and prevents fuel from entering the carbs.

Next time you’re in that situation (stopped and bike will crank but not start) pop the fuel cap, close it and try to start. If it fires up, it’s a vacuum issue in the tank.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Update for this thread. I've been busy but I finally got around to this bike. It turns out there were multiple issues. As for the charging issue, there was a bad connection inside the connector from the stator. It appeared good from the outside and when you put a meter to it, it would read good. It must have just been really bouncing around or something when the bike was in motion. The connector has since been removed and those wires have all been crimped together and is now charging just fine. As for the fuel pump, everything got traced back to the ECU. It was not being grounded in there so I spliced the ground wire coming from the starting circuit cutoff relay that led to the ECU and grounded it it out straight to the battery. Since the starting circuit cutoff relay was working the entire time, it was just a ground issue and I have since removed the manual switch and it operates normally, when the key turns the bike on, the fuel pump runs now as well, and turns off when the key is off. So viola! The bike is working just fine. I took her out yesterday and had a blast...for about another 10 minutes that is and had a rear bearing blow out from underneath me. It scared the hell out of me and I had a very wobbly ride home. This bike is cursed I swear. All that's left now is to just replace the rim, axel and switch the rubbers and I should be good to go for the season! Thank you all for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in