2002 R6 no start after transmission repair - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2002 R6 no start after transmission repair

Hello all,

I just wanted to put up a thread to let some people know about the problem I have been having with my bike for the past year. It was a stupid mistake on my part, but it took me out of riding for a year which was frustrating, and hopefully it can be of use to someone with a no start.

I originally picked up the R6 for $1600, knowing it as a second gear slip. Over the following winter, I tore the bike down and replaced my transmission with the upgraded on from the 03-05 R6. The bike ran awesome, no more slip!

A couple weeks later, the bike died on me 2km from home. After working on it off and on for a couple weeks, I realized I had forgotten to tighten down the ground cable on top of the engine block (like an idiot). After repairing that, the bike ran great again.

Another couple weeks later, the bike quit on my way home from work. I traced that to a no spark issue, which I could not resolve. I tested all of the electrical systems in the bike, (main switch, ignition switch, clutch switch, neutral switch, kill switch, Starting Circuit Cutoff Relay, ignition fuse, main fuse), I took it to my local dealership and had them take a look in case I missed something.

After a month, I called the dealer for an update. They told me that they couldn't find an issue either, and told me that I should find a ICU to put in it and see if it worked. After spending a few weeks and $200 on an ICU, the bike still would not start. I then decided to take the bike back from the dealership, and finish working on it on my spare time.

I decided to start my own diagnosis by hooking up a multimeter to the pickup coil and seeing if I could read the voltage change while cranking. The meter read a .05 mV change. I then took the pickup coilbcover off to see if there was something wrong with the pickup coil visually (as it tested good according the service manual).

When I pulled the cover off for the pickup coil, I couldn't initially see anything wrong. So, as a hunch, I turned the bike over while watching the pickup rotor to confirm it was turning. When I cranked the engine over, the rotor wouldn't move. The bike that held it to the crank had come loose, and the rotor was just spinning freely as the crank turned, so the ICU never saw a crank signal to fire the coils.

Long story short, I have learned two things from this process.
1. Don't over complicate. The specs won't lie to you. If everything tests good, then start looking elsewhere. Don't look for what you think the problem is, look for the actual problem.
2. Make sure your flippin bolts are tight!! 😂. I missed out on a lot of riding over the past year and a half, over a ground screw and pick up rotor bolt. It never hurts to double or triple check stuff.

I hope this long story will help someone else with a no start issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:14 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 2002 R6 no start after transmission repair

yeah a dealer is the worst place to take a bike. it's not that the guys working there couldn't figure it out. it's all about $. the service manager/writer estimated you an hour diag. that means the guy only gets 1 hr to look at it and gets whatever his flat rate is. around where i live it's around $7. 1 hr is not enough time and it doesn't pay the tech anything. they looked at it for probably 2hrs and put it back together and rolled it into a corner where it sat for 30 days. it's the nature of the business and it's a piss poor business to be honest. a shop at a dealer is a money loser and the techs make nothing to do diagnostics. often a tech is working for free while doing diagnostics so they stop looking and just give it their best guess and tell you, you need this or that and cross their fingers.

think about it, would you have wanted to pay $1000 to find that fix? that's what it would take if they charged you the actual time it would take to find something like that. 99% of people would whine like a bitch to pay that kind of money to tighten a bolt, is how the customer always looks at it. everyone thinks diagnostics should be free and a tech should be a genie or a bike whisperer and be able to know what's wrong with it in 10 mins. hell, it often takes 30 mins to familiarize yourself to the bike first, pull up manuals, and get the seat off.

and I'm not implying you didn't do this, but most people fail to mention they had the bike all apart and now something doesn't work.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 07-08-2018 at 03:43 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I totally agree. I work in a mechanic shop, and I've had guys whine and complain about the cost of diagnostics, and it's not fair to the techs at all. In that regard I'm kinda glad I just took it home and found it myself. Saved me a lot in diagnostics, and hopefully saved them time.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Drop a gear and DISAPPEAR

Bike: 99 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPretty View Post
Hello all,

When I pulled the cover off for the pickup coil, I couldn't initially see anything wrong. So, as a hunch, I turned the bike over while watching the pickup rotor to confirm it was turning. When I cranked the engine over, the rotor wouldn't move. The bike that held it to the crank had come loose, and the rotor was just spinning freely as the crank turned, so the ICU never saw a crank signal to fire the coils.
did the pick up coil have resistance when you tested before you took the cover off?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Yes, I had checked it. It was to spec according to my clymer manual. Which made sense after seeing what the problem was, because the pickup itself had no issues. Just the timing rotor wasn't turning woth the crankshaft, so there was no crank signal to the ECU.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Drop a gear and DISAPPEAR

Bike: 99 R6

ok so i pulled off the co0ver and right above the pickup coil the is a metal piece held by a screw look like it holds wires down does that have to be there for coil to function? cause mine is gone

RESPECT the machine! If you ever hop on your bike and you are 100% comfortable, SELL IT cause you will end up hurting or killing yourself!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Interesting... when I rebuilt the transmission in my bike I found that screw in my oil pan...I loctited it back in
When I put it back together. 😅. I don't think that it has any purpose other than holding the wires in place though. It was the big bolt in the end of the crankshaft that had come loose. I'll see if I have a picture.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

This is the rotor that was loose, and the bolt that holds it on the crankshaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_152327_1539046400567.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	358352  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in