2008 R6 Won't Start - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

2008 R6 Won't Start

Hi All, Long story.

I had a crash in Feb at the track and am reassembling my R6.

Finally got it to a state where I could start it about 1 month ago. It started and ran well for about 15mins. Put it away and started fitting up the fairings etc over the next few weeks.

Got them fitted up roughly 2 weeks later. This time after I started the number 4 cylinder was not running. So I pulled the spark plugs and coils. I figured maybe the number 4 was fouled. I replaced all the spark plugs anyway and she still only ran on 3 cylinders. The removed plugs didn't look too bad.

So then I pulled the number 3 & 4 coils gave them both a good clean with electrical cleaner and and tested their resistance. Both tested the same. I swapped them around and reinstalled to see if the problem would move to #3 cylinder. This time when I went to start the bike I got power the dash lit up, fuel pump primed, fuel rail primed. When I hit the starter there was a very short turn of the starter motor then nothing. So then I pulled everything apart again and double checked all connections from the coils right down back to tank connections. Everything you touch to get into the coils and plugs from the tank side.

I thought maybe my Speedcell wasn't working as it is one of the 2.5ah ones. So I put in the Yuasa spec battery from my MV (which is the same spec as the R6). Same thing. Dash lights up, fuel rail and pump primes, hit the starter I can hear current being drawn but not starter motor action.

I have checked and the only error fault from the on board diag was the lean angle sensor, which I reset. The bike had been running fine with that fault on the when I started it 1 month ago and when on 3 cylinders. I cleared it anyway. That faul has not come back and no other faults are evident.

Can some one give me some pointers for a suitable list of actions?

I'm busy with work and family for a week now, but when I get back to it I'm going to start with:

Fuses
Starter Relay
Cut off relay
Starter motor

I think I have checked everything I have touched to change the plugs. But I'm humble enough to admit I may have pucked something. So any help from the experienced spanners on here would be appreciated.

Last edited by R6trackrider; 08-24-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: 2008 R6 Won't Start

Would the lean angle sensor fault still be part of my issue?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Still working through this.

Battery tested and fine. Have fitted a new lithium anyway that I purchased for my other bike.

Fuses are all good.

Fuel pump is priming.

Cut off relay tested fine.

Lean angle sensor fine.

No more fault codes from system

Starter solenoid did not click? I'm just getting the buzzing. Took it off the bike to test. Not getting continuity through the primary points when 12+V power is applied. Do I need to fool the solenoid switch block to meet what would normally be conditions such as neutral switch for it to activate? Do I need to replace the starter solenoid?

What is the "relay unit diode"? I have tested the cutoff relay.

Last edited by R6trackrider; 08-29-2018 at 04:54 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Back again, no help yet...

I went back and tested the cut off relay continuity because I had only tested the DC operation. All the neg/positive tests came back opposite. So every negative came back positive and vice versa See image below. Everyone of those tests came back opposite to the manual??? I'm using the Vq/red lead as the positive and the black as the negative on a digital multimeter. Have I stuffed this up or does that mean the relay is stuffed? I ask because this makes no sense that they are all out.

Is the job of this relay to reverse polarity?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diode.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	357834  

Last edited by R6trackrider; 08-30-2018 at 03:59 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:44 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Why would testing for polarity matter. Your simply testing for continuity.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Hi mate, Thanks for the reply. If it is just continuity why do they ask you to reverse the cables as per the image I attached? Isn't that the point of a diode? To direct current in one direction only? If just testing continuity, swapping leads should not make a difference but in their test it is meant to give opposite outcomes when the leads are swapped. The only issue I see is mine tested the complete opposite to their manual! Assuming the Vq lead on my multimeter is positive which I tested.

Any advice?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Oh I think I just misunderstood what you were saying. So where it says you should have continuity you don't and vice versa.

How are you testing the diodes, with diode setting or resistance. If testing using resistance the probes are reversed.

Important thing with diodes is they block current in 1 direction. If they allow or don't allow in both directions it's bad.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
Oh I think I just misunderstood what you were saying. So where it says you should have continuity you don't and vice versa.

How are you testing the diodes, with diode setting or resistance. If testing using resistance the probes are reversed.

Important thing with diodes is they block current in 1 direction. If they allow or don't allow in both directions it's bad.
Thanks for the reply. "So where it says you should have continuity you don't and vice versa." That is correct.

They are definitely blocking current in 1 direction. Maybe it is that I have them reversed. I can't really see anyway that they are all opposite to spec...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in