Coolant issues - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Coolant issues

I have a 2000 R6 with 3200 miles and I noticed it's going thru coolant like crazy. It took 200 miles to go from full to low. Theres no milky or bubble in my oil and no overheating or temp problems. No power problems or smoke. I think it might be a leak but theres no leaks in my garage anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6
Re: Coolant issues

I would try just taking off the fairings on both sides, starting it up and looking VERY closely for leaks. Places to check would be around the water pump, and the connection points for the radiator hoses. To go 200 miles from full to empty means you probably have a slow to moderate sized leak.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:12 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

when was the last time the system was serviced? btw, coolant is only good for 2 years.

if someone didn't fill the system correctly by letting the air bleed out this could be why it sucked the overflow jug dry. assuming you are speaking of the overflow jug.

if you keep filling it and it keeps sucking dry then you might have a problem. more likely if you can't find a leak, it's a head gasket.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:11 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Note that it's normal to have some water dripping from the hole at the bottom in the exhaust. Water vapor is a normal component of the air intake and this is one of the ways that water vapor build-up exits the exhaust system.

Oil and/or coolant at that hole, can be an indicator of a problem. A "block test kit" (search Amazon) is a chemical test on the coolant, to see whether combustion gases are present. Pump up cooling system pressure testers are also available on Amazon. However, one must be extra extra careful not to overpressurize the system or it will be damaged. "Maximum" pressure is typically listed on radiator caps and is typically very low.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 PM
My R6 eats me.

Have you used or know of it is possible to use a higher rated radiator cap on the radiator? Eg: from a 1.1 to 1.4
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betan View Post
Have you used or know of it is possible to use a higher rated radiator cap on the radiator? Eg: from a 1.1 to 1.4
dude, you need to relax. for **** sakes. graves the yamaha factory road race team uses 2.0 caps. your bike is going to be fine.
if you're that worried about it buy a yamaha cap from a oem dealership and use that. or run evans coolant without a pressure cap. evans doesn't boil at normal operating temps. so it doesn't need a pressurized system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in