Minor oil leak annoyance - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdoss1980

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Minor oil leak annoyance

So i bought a used 07 R6s a couple years ago and have always noticed a couple drops of oil on my garage floor after riding. Apparently no big deal for older bikes or so the mechanic at the shop i went to says. Anyway last year i was rear ended by a blind lady(not really but i was stopped so idk how she didn’t see me) and the bike was laid on the oil pump side and created a larger oil leak. I replaced the oil pump cover and the gasket and an O ring( on what it’s called to the left of the bolt) But the minor leak persists it seems through this little screw? I tried putting a washer in and thought maybe that would help but it didn’t. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0786A490-540E-4BF8-A8CF-5C9AFD90A63E_1546035451544.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	359246  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:03 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Minor oil leak annoyance

if the large plastic plug is bent that could be coming from it. on the metal bolt you can use thread sealant. (liquid. not tape) any auto parts store should have some. I don't think you can use it on a plastic part. so the big plug you'd have to replace.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 12-29-2018 at 07:05 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:48 AM
~Faster Than Lightning~

Bike: 05 R6 & 2018 R1

Hmmm..it could be that the screw's threads are worn or damage not giving it a tightened fit

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones160 View Post
Hmmm..it could be that the screw's threads are worn or damage not giving it a tightened fit
So do you think i should replace it or buy the thread lock like the previous guy suggested?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:20 PM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

Where is the oil coming from, is it the lowest forward hole? The threads for that cover go to the cases and are surrounded by gasket material, so there should be no oil going into the bolt hole unless the gasket was compromised when installing or if the cases were damaged when the accident happened. Were any of the bolts damaged as well and replaced? There are two different length screws that hold that cover on as well and if you mixed two that one could not be getting tight enough to seal the gasket. The two that hold the cable holder are slightly longer than the other 5. Fingers crossed if the lowest front bolt was damaged, that it did not damage the actual engine case itself.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See the third picture

Theirs is alot worse looking I think they tried to repair with a heli coil and split the hole worse and some of the other threads I searched didnt show pictures. But if there is a hair line crack there it will leak oil until you can seal that crack up. If so you can try some thread sealant, it will either work or not.
tones160 likes this.

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:19 PM
~Faster Than Lightning~

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Thekid90 View Post
So do you think i should replace it or buy the thread lock like the previous guy suggested?
Try the new bolt first.

I had a similar problem, however it was a slightly cracked cover which i changed and it turned out the bolt was also damaged too. It wasnt threading in properly.

Might as well try it, it costs a lot less than the sealant.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:57 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

I thought you were seeing oil seep out of the plug in the cover. but i've used the sealant on the cover bolts before because when I crashed it bent the 2 bolts in the cover and elongated some of the bolt hole in the block. for this the sealant works like a charm. exactly what it's intended for.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:14 AM
~Faster Than Lightning~

And trust me, any mechanic that tells you it's normal to see a leak or 2 have no idea what they're talking about. The only thing that should be dropping on the floor would be condensated water, coolant from the overflow, or rain water stuck in your exhaust lol...never oil or fuel!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

The old case was damaged as a result of the accident so i replaced it along with the gasket and made sure to take extra precaution not to damage it in the process of putting it back on, i did not replace the bolts as i didn’t even think to really look at them as being the cause but i cleaned them(because they were covered in dried oil from the accident) and laid them out exactly how i took them off so fitment shouldn’t be a problem but won’t rule that out. Will try replacing the bolt that might be the cause (if anyone knows what size it is off tops that would be cool lol) and then sealant if it doesn’t work. Will post updates thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in