Bike is bogging down and losing power - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike is bogging down and losing power

Only in higher rpm though. Need any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6
Re: Bike is bogging down and losing power

Start with easy stuff like throwing in fresh gas....it could be this simple.

If it's not as simple as new gas, then I would start by replacing the spark plugs. If this doesn't work then try new ignition coils. How many miles are on the bike? it could be time for a valve adjustment......
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:02 AM
I eat my R6

Coils and plugs. Use CR9EIX plugs and new coils w/ NO dielectric grease.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 PM
My R6 eats me.

I had this issue on trck along with my mate who rides another r6, mines an 05 and his an 03. the issue was rust in the fuel tank from sitting tank with half a tank of fuel. you will need to take tank out replace fuel filter and epoxy the tank. I did that and it works 100%
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:28 PM
My R6 eats me.

I had the same issue,

fuel tank has rust,

remove tank and clean tank with hydrochloric solution with distilled water 1:10, rinse out with white vinegar, air dry, epoxy tank with epoxy glue. replace fuel filter (t-Bag Type) good time to change fuel pump approx. $40. put back together and ride on
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I'm strongly agreeing with you all on the dirty tanks. The bogging seems to happen in spurts. I ran sea foam in it. Ran fine. I looked in the tank and there is some stuff down there. When you say epoxy . what does that mean? Thank you all by the way
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:16 AM
I eat my R6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown_kane View Post
I'm strongly agreeing with you all on the dirty tanks. The bogging seems to happen in spurts. I ran sea foam in it. Ran fine. I looked in the tank and there is some stuff down there. When you say epoxy . what does that mean? Thank you all by the way
I think what they are describing might be what you see in the tank. When i purchased my 05' it has sat for a while and started getting rust in the tank. I used evaporust [works great] to eliminate a lot of the surface rust and debris in the tank. It wouldnt be a bad idea to go ahead and clean out the tank as others have suggested OP.

Verify your coils are good. Another issue i had when i got the bike running was a bad coil. This caused the bike to "surge", bog down and then unpredictably would take off without any warning if i left the throttle open, hence my username. 👍

An easy way to tell if you have a coil bad without any disassembly is to warm the bike up at idle, take a spray bottle of water and spray each individual header pipe on your bike. If the water evaporates almost instantly, that cylinder is good. If the water doesnt evaporate, you know that cylinder isnt firing correctly, and most likely is a bad coil on that cylinder.

What things have you checked so far?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 AM
I eat my R6

Garage
asand to answer your question about the epoxy, i believe they are talking about a coating for the inside of the fuel tank to help seal it/prevent rust once you get rust cleaned out of there. I did not do this step when i cleaned out my tank. I used evaporust, followed the directions on the bottle and the companies website and it worked wonders for my tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in