Cant Find Coolant leak Origin - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6
Cant Find Coolant leak Origin

Here's the situation, last summer I replaced the entire water pump due to a major coolant leak coming from the weep hole. Bought a brand new one, slapped it in, and everything was fine for the rest of the summer. Come the end of the season, I parked the bike in my unheated storage unit where it sat for about two months before being used again on a rather warm winter day. When I was pulling the bike out, I noticed a palm size puddle of coolant directly beneath where the exhaust header bends. I started the bike up, no leaks while running, and no signs of leakage from anywhere whatsoever. Rode it around for a day and everything worked fine, still no signs of leakage while running. Parked the bike back in the storage unit for about another month before I went to pull it out again for another ride. Same situation, palm size puddle of coolant under the bike. This time I tried to see where it was coming from, took off the right side fairing and checked all the hoses. Everything seemed fine, I even went around and tightened some of the accessible hose clamps just to be safe. Rode it around for a few hours, still no leaks, parked it when i was done, came back about 2 weeks later, and once again....more coolant under the bike. I took it into a shop but they said they weren't able to replicate the problem, just did the same things I already did, tighten the easily accessible hose clamps.

As of this point, I believe the leak is coming from either a loose or cracked hose that is behind the exhaust header which is very hard to get at without complete disassembly of the exhaust, which neither I nor the shop has done. I also have a theory that maybe the issue has something to do with the bike being in an unheated storage unit, therefore causing some of the rubber hoses to contract and become loose? I live in the Midwest and the temperatures this winter were well below zero for weeks on end. I kind of want some input as to what I should do next. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM

Garage
Some leaks can be hard to track down. Especially in confined spaces such as between our bikes engine and the frame.

Eventually you will run out of coolant if it goes unaddressed as im sure youre aware.

It seems it is a very slow leak that only shows itself while parked for days on end. It may be worth it to check everywhere, even the "hard to get to places" such as under the gas tank on top of the engine and behind the header.

Youll find it, i believe in you!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Would it be possible that it’s coming from the coolant overflow hose? You did mention right side by the exhaust bend. Being so cold the coolant expands a bit?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Re: Cant Find Coolant leak Origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepareForTakeOff View Post
Some leaks can be hard to track down. Especially in confined spaces such as between our bikes engine and the frame.

Eventually you will run out of coolant if it goes unaddressed as im sure youre aware.

It seems it is a very slow leak that only shows itself while parked for days on end. It may be worth it to check everywhere, even the "hard to get to places" such as under the gas tank on top of the engine and behind the header.

Youll find it, i believe in you!
Where exactly does the coolant go under the gas tank?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
I dont believe you specified which bike you are working on so let me clarify.

On my 2005 R6, the coolant reservoir hose runs beneath the gas tank over to the reservoir on the opposite side of the bike.
Also if i remember correctly the upper radiator hose runs under there.

I was mainly trying to say that if you havent found the leak yet after taking fairing off, you might try looking somewhere you havent yet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:59 PM

Garage
NotnattyR6's suggestion is also possible, although its hard to imagine it would expand that much if its been filled up to the correct level.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:37 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Aluminum radiators can leak in strange ways sometimes. I made the mistake of targeting a car wash jet spray at a targeted spot on a HOT radiator. This exceeded the metal's thermal gradient, resulting with invisible cracks. The results of the damage were not immediate. About a week-and-a-half later I got out the car on a quiet street and heard a wet sucking sound. What's weird is it wasn't leaking... it wasn't pushing out fluid. However as it cooled, it would suck in air, in lieu of liquid from the reservoir. (t was easier.) It took awhile, maybe a month or more I don't recall; but eventually it did start to leak, (push fluid out,) a little. Once that started, I didn't wait because a constantly wet radiator support will quickly rot-out.

I'd have to lookup how this cycle is setup, but my car uses coolant to affect oil temperature. Some designs run the oil directly, for cooling. That may be another area to look into.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it's coming from the overflow hose, but I will definitely check again. From my understanding the coolant would only come out of the overflow hose if the system was overfilled or if it was a really hot day. For example, when it gets really hot during the summer I can visibly see the coolant line in the reservoir get close to the top of the overflow reservoir, and as the bike cools, this level goes down and the fluid travels back into the radiator from the reservoir. I've never had an issue with coolant coming out from the overflow hose...it runs down the right side of the bike near the water pump and is projected in a way so that any leaking coolant would run down the outside of the bikes fairings. I don't see any streak marks on the outside of the fairings, however I will definitely check the inside of the fairings.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

check out what's happening with your overflow bottle. if its full when cold and empty when hot your radiator cap isn't holding pressure. when it cools the bottle over fills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in