Turn signal help - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2002 R6
Turn signal help

Hey everyone. So I bought an 02 r6 at the end of the fall and did lots of work to get it running right and it runs great. My only problem is it has integrated turn signals in it for the rear, and I installed proton led turn signals in the front. The fronts flash fine when I use the turn signal but the back does not flash. I bought a flasher relay from revzilla and I saw them flash a couple times and then just stopped. I’m sick of using hand signals to turn and don’t wanna get pulled over for not using my turn signals when I’m actually trying. Anyone know what the problem could be? Could it be a blown fuse or is the bike just not able to handle all the leds in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Also the turn signal indicators on the dash do not light up
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:00 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Turn signal help

Do they work with filament/resistor bulbs?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

So I did a little bit more work on them. Got the rear integrated turn signals working, my only problems now are the flush mount turn signals blink at the same time no matter which turn signal I put on. They are the proton 500 flushmounts. My dash indicators do not work still. I put in an led flasher relay which helped but didn’t fix some of my issues
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:50 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Assuming you purchased the right flasher relays, first bit would be to start simple. Check your wiring from start to finish. Which wires did you use up front? Did you switch up the wiring in the rear to get them to work?

As Intuit already said, see if they work with the stock bulbs plugged back in (install original flasher relay first).

The older models are real finicky when switching to LED. Try searching the forums as I'm sure others have had the same problem.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

They work with the stock bulbs in. The tail lights are working fine now, only problem is the fronts blink at the same time no matter which turn signal I press (I’m assuming it’s just how those are made cause you can change the pattern they blink at with a magnet). I also don’t have the indicators on the dash that blink when I turn the turn signals on. That’s more of the part I’m confused about. The wiring is correct, checked it multiple times. I’ve looked on the forums and the only thing I’ve found was people would switch to an led flasher relay and it would fix it but it didn’t fit mine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:47 AM
I eat my R6

Yea the dash lights are not lighting up because you drastically reduced the resistance in that branch, therefore the diodes in the dash are not seeing the necessary current to illuminate. This is one of the reasons people install load resistors in older bikes when switching to LED. But from what I understand, you install either load resistors or a flasher relay. So if the flasher relay is correct it should at least allow the signals to operate properly.

Both front LED's should not come on when indicating either left or right. The programmable Proton lights only change the flash pattern. Something is not right. I am not entirely familiar with the early gen bikes so I can't speak specifically. The only way those front LED's could light up at the same time is if the grounds are crossed up, or the wiring to them is not right. Left should not see voltage when selected Right and visa versa. There should be only 2 wires connected to each signal, front and rear (chocolate or Dark Green and the black ground). Someone familiar with the early gens can chime in here since I have never gone through this issue with LED's. And I know you said the wiring is right but sometimes its easy to overlook something and just to positively rule it out and move on.

And the flasher relay is plug and play so I can't imagine that is installed incorrectly.

Another option is to reach out to Proton.

You can also download the service manual from r6messagenet if you feel a wiring diagram will help.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Ive gone over the wiring and redid some connections and all the wiring looks fine. I made sure that grounds are connected to grounds and that everything is in the correct spot. I can check again, maybe I missed something. Ill look into load resistors tonight for the dash to see if i can get the signals working but Iím lost at this point. I contacted proton and havenít heard back from them yet. I got them to blink on their own sides previously using a magnet and playing around with the settings on it but I wasnít able to replicate that. Ill do some more digging and see if i can find an answer. Right now Iím leaning towards a wiring error I missed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:40 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyth98 View Post
They work with the stock bulbs in. The tail lights are working fine now, only problem is the fronts blink at the same time no matter which turn signal I press ................................................ I also donít have the indicators on the dash that blink when I turn the turn signals on. .......................
We've established that a problem exists, even with the stock bulbs in. So for the time being, let's forget about LED altogether. Our best bet to getting this to work, is to restore *everything* to stock. If all the color wiring is the same as the manual at each component, then try disconnecting the rear altogether and see whether the dash and fronts then behave normal. (aside from the hyper-flash of course) Reconnect the rear then connect the front and repeat the test. Does the dash light up with everything (except the flasher relay) disconnected? Once all that works, then we can worry about getting the LEDs to work.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:56 AM
I eat my R6

Oh I read his post as everything works fine with stock bulbs in. Read the next sentence as if the LED's were back in the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in