08-09 Rear Wheel Spins At 8-9MPH, Even With Clutch Pulled In? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Moto mechanic and racer.

Bike: Many
Garage
08-09 Rear Wheel Spins At 8-9MPH, Even With Clutch Pulled In?

So I have two of the same gen R6 in my garage that I'm working on. One's a Orange 09, the other is a Silver 08, identical other than the color basically.

I did a chain replacement and post lowside quick inspection on the 09, afterwards ran the rear in 1st on a rear stand to check and make sure it was good. Right off the bat the wheel was spinning at 8-9mph on the speedo in first or second, even with the clutch pulled in. Thinking this might be due to clutch cable maladjustment as it usually is, I check it since that was the side that lowsided. Other than some rash marks on the cable bracket, nothing was off, tried releasing all tension, putting it full tension, no change.

Weird thing is, it doesn't die when put in gear on the ground, which normally when it's a maladjusted clutch cable this far gone (I mean normally if there's any clutch drag I can stop the wheel by hand, but in this case it's spinning at 8-9mph) kills the bike when thrown in gear.

Having two of the same bike basically at the same time, I was able to check it against a far better maintained and never downed one. Turns out, it does the exact same thing, and is in far better shape.

Is this just something this generation of R6 does? I've never had a bike in that does that. A little bit maybe from clutch stiction, but nowhere this fast. The fact that two of the same bike from two different people doing the exact same thing leads me leads me to believe this is just the design of the 08/09 R6.

Moto Mechanic from the PNW, working and racing in SoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
My Ninja 6 and R6 do it too. As does my KTM. Totally normal and is just clutch drag.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Moto mechanic and racer.

Bike: Many
Garage
Re: 08-09 Rear Wheel Spins At 8-9MPH, Even With Clutch Pulled In?

Man this was a first for me, must be a 08+ bike year thing, since most of the bikes I see are before that.

Moto Mechanic from the PNW, working and racing in SoCal

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:04 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 08-09 Rear Wheel Spins At 8-9MPH, Even With Clutch Pulled In?

it's just the oil between the clutch disks. it normally slows to a stop after it's warm.
but just for the hell of it make sure the cable is adjusted properly.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in