2018 R6 Speedometer Displays 0 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2018 R6 Speedometer Displays 0

I recently had my wheels powder coated and after reassembling the wheels and mounting them to the bike, my speedometer no longer works. I made a mistake of putting the bike in gear while it was on the stand which triggered the check engine light. I cleared the P0500 (Rear wheel sensor fault), but still no speedometer and the check engine light goes off as soon as I ride.

Is there any way to test the rear wheel speed sensor to see if is emitting a signal? I've rotated the rear wheel speed rotor to see if that adjusted things, but still nothing.

I am open to any suggestions at this point. Kicking my self now wishing i'd just left it alone.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 2018 R6 Speedometer Displays 0

well first of all how did you clear the check engine light? because it now requires a special connector cable to the diagnostic connector to a code scanner since they did away with the diagnostic mode of the ecu(thank euro emissions regulations, that's a whole other discussion). some of the fault codes require a reinstatement procedure to make it work again. and 2nd, you didn't clear the code. because it's still on when you start the bike.
3rd did you change the gap on the abs ring? the abs ring and sensor is how it gets the wheel speed.

and since europe decided to force the world to accept their emissions rules you can no longer adjust the ecu yourself such as testing the signal from the sensor through yamaha's old diagnostic feature that was built into the ecu. now you have to take it to a dealership and let them use the yamaha diagnostic tool(software on a laptop) to test it.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-12-2019 at 06:15 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I purchased the diagnostic adapter and a OBD2 Scanner that both reads and erases codes. I ran the Scanner, which picked up the P0500 code and I subsequently cleared it. After I cleared the code I started the bike and there was no check engine light displayed.

The check engine light lit up after I started riding, I'm assuming because it is getting anything off of the rear wheel sensor. When I plugged the Scanner back up it was the same P0500 code.

With that said, to my knowledge I haven't changed the gap (I didn't even think that was possible). Can you explain how to adjust the gap between the ring and sensor? Also, can you speak to the reinstatement procedure you mentioned? Do you know if there is one for the rear wheel sensor?

I plan on picking up a gauge this weekend to measure the distance between the two to see if it is the recommended distance as stated in the service manual.

Thanks.....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

on my R1 it just says to check the gap of the ring and sensor. It doesn't seem have a way to adjust it other than possibly using a shim(washer)
its possible you damaged the sensor stalling the wheel i guess. or maybe the ring is installed reversed on the rim. mine doesn't have an offset so maybe it doesnt matter.

without the service manual I'm just throwing out guesses. and don't know if the speed sensor has a reinstatement procedure. it probably just works after you ride for a min.
youre probably going to have to shell out $80 for a manual. unless the dealer can do it cheaper.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Issue resolved! I must've broken the rear wheel abs/speed sensor in the process of mounting the tire which was causing the fault. I purchased a used one on ebay ($25), put it on and the speedometer works again! I would most definitely recommend finding parts on ebay because the dealership wanted $125 for the same sensor brand new.

Excited to get riding again! Thanks for the input yamahacrazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in