Battery - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flyers28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I have a 1999 R6 and was wondering what battery i need? I have installed heated grips and a phone charger plus integrated rear blinkers and led blinkers in front, how many ah should my battery have?

Last edited by Ole-Johan Ovreaas; 04-19-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: Battery

Whatever the specs are for the stock battery. The amp output is limited by the stator, not the battery. The battery starts the bike, the stator provides the running amps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
Whatever the specs are for the stock battery. The amp output is limited by the stator, not the battery. The battery starts the bike, the stator provides the running amps.
How do i find the specs for a stock battery? Also the oem stator should be able to produce enough amps to keep my mods running without draining the battery right?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:26 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W

Most places online will show you what battery you need if you plug in your bike. So far as the stator, you will need to look up the output in watts. Add up the watts used by the bike and subtract it from the output. That's what you have left over for your gadgets.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:36 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

What Evil said...haha, he beat me while I was typing

The manual specs are GT12B-4 12 V/10 AH. (FYI, you can download the service manual from r6messagenet).

The stator output on these bikes is pretty minimal, but that being said others have run heated grips on their R6. That is your only mod drawing any power. I'm sure a forum search might dig up some threads discussing others who have installed heated grips. But the output on these stators is about 300 watts.
The Evil Twin likes this.

Last edited by Flyers28; 04-19-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Yeah cause i have a problem where my bike runs out of power every damn time i ride, and i swapped the stator, the regulator and the battery (to a 12v 7ah) and i had a mechanic confirm the charging voltage is within specs, about 14,5v, any ideas? It even runs out of power without lights/grips turned on. And i figured that if any of the wires are bad, the output power from the stator shouldnt reach the battery at all, any ideas? Fyi the battery does not drain while bike is off so parasitic drain is ruled out, or so i think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in