Battery drain - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Unhappy Battery drains, any ideas?

Okay so i've made many posts about this issue and i want to thank everyone who has helped me understand my problem.

Bike: 1999 Yamaha R6

Now, as you can guess by the title, the problem is still not fixed. Basically what is happening is that the battery drains while driving.
Here is a breakdown:

1. The stator is aftermarket but producing sufficient voltage. Swapped last summer.
2. Regulator/rectifier is OEM and also swapped last summer.
3. Battery is a 12v 7AH aftermarket, but almost new.
4. The battery only drains while driving and not from standing stationary for a while, hence i dont think there is any parasitic drain.
5. All the cable connectors are looking good, no melting or any clearly visible damage.
6. I have installed heated grips and a phone charger, heated grips draining under 4 amps, phone charger is a couple amps, but even with these + headlights turned off, i still run out.
7. I had a mechanic look at the charging system and he said it was fine (clearly not since i ran out when i got home, also i think he just simply checked voltage @ 5k RPM)

Any ideas?? I'm going to do a complete test of everything including the cables later today, but any ideas that could save me from unnecessary work is much appreciated

Dang don't electrical problems suck?

Last edited by Ole-Johan Ovreaas; 04-20-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Battery drain

Remove the modifications and see whether the issues persist.

You could also try removing non-critical fuses and seeing whether the issue disappears.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Remove the modifications and see whether the issues persist.

You could also try removing non-critical fuses and seeing whether the issue disappears.
It appeared that the stator broke but i had problems before this so i assumed it stilm functioned, i HOPE my mentioned issue was caused by a failing stator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in