Questions after exhaust change - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Questions after exhaust change

I'm pretty new with sport bikes so please have understanding if these are dumb paranoid questions.

My 2006 R6 had an idle issue where the rpm would bounce on cold start. The problem was the exhaust that had no muffler so I put on a stock exhaust few days ago and the problem stopped. But here are my concerns.

First, the new gaskets I got were a bit flatter than the stock ones and since my stock ones looked fine I decided to go with the old stock ones. When I fired up the bike I could se smoke coming from the area where the header meet the cylinder for a couple of seconds and then it disappeared and I haven't seen it since. I don't feel any air coming out when I hold my hand there. Is that normal?

Also, I hear this ticking sound that I haven't heard before, it could simply be because the bike was too damn loud before. A lot of other threads say its just the "Yamaha ticking sound" but someone also said it could be a leak. So my question is, does it sound like I have a leak? The bike runs perfectly otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Garage
So the ticking in my opinion was always there based on the info you have provided, you just couldnt hear it before you put the stock exhaust on. Yamatick is a real thing.

I would never personally reuse an exhaust gasket, nor would i recommend it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
It's impossible for us to know without seeing and hearing it. But first, Yamaha r6 and r1 engine has a lot of valvetrain noise. It's normal.
Second any smoke you seen could have been from oil on your hands. Or anything that got on the pipes. If it quit it's fine. Using the old exhaust gaskets is fine. Most full exhaust systems require you to reuse the gaskets.
And last the rpm bounce is normal when it's using the stock map with an aftermarket pipe. A good map will correct it.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-02-2019 at 06:19 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: Questions after exhaust change

So you can kinda hear it a little towards the end of this video below its kind of a quick ticking sounds (not my bike in the video tho). But alright so it shouldn't be a leak then?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Garage
Probably not. Lile yamahacrazy said its hard to tell without looking at it. I think you would know if you had an exhaust leak. A video of someone elses bike doesnt help anyone figure out whats going on with you bike, so i will stand by what i said about it being the typical yamatick.

Riding the bike would probably help you determine whether there is a problem.

I dont personally ever reuse gaskets, including exhaust gaskets, but to each their own.

Take it for a ride or post a video of your bike.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

So here is a video of my bike running. What do you think?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
It does sound like its more excessive than normal, but it could just be the video quality throwing me off too.

Lets look at what youve done to try and figure out if there is actually a problem or not.

You have put an exhaust muffler on it, and you made a mention about gaskets being flatter than the stock ones. Were these the header gaskets? What were you doing with the headers off to put a muffler on? And if you did disassemble the headers from the block and reuse that gasket, then i could see why the ticking would as loud as it seems on the video, as the gasket it probably leaking.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:44 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

doesn't sound broken to me.
as far as reusing them if they seem like they are not messed up its ok to reuse them. but new ones are cheap if you need to replace them.

around 220 in this video van talks about this. this system uses the old gaskets and so does a lot of other brands. he did another install video with a newer R6 and a M4 system reusing the stock gaskets.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-03-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes they were header gaskets. The new ones I bought were not stock but they were the same size apparently, just a little flatter, picture below.

Quote:
What were you doing with the headers off to put a muffler on?
What do you mean? I bought a new stock exhaust, took the old one off and put the new one on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3932.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	361150  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

You think it sounds all good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in