2003 R6 high idle after warming up - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2003 R6 high idle after warming up

So, I have a 2003 R6 5sl, I had stripped down the majority of the bike over the winter besides the engine, forks, frame, and electrics.
Fitted a new K&N air filter and Akra slip on exhaust and now there seems to be an issue with idling when warm.
I put fresh fuel in the tank with some fuel cleaner and have rode the bike well over 500 miles since putting her all back together.
I have also just replaced the battery.
My issue is that she used to go from around 2k revs when cold starting to ~1500 at normal warm idle once she hit 55 Celsius. But she is no longer doing this, she is continuing to idle high until I rev the engine.
Then once the bike is warmed up and running she is dipping between 1500 and 1000 fairly constantly.
Where would people suggest starting?

P.s I've already tried the Idle adjuster and it didn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:08 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 2003 R6 high idle after warming up

throttle cable routing and lube them. sounds like the throttle is hanging open. start there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:39 PM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

2nd gen r6's have an interesting high idle setup. the throttle bodies are basically carbs with injectors in them. The way the high idle circuit works is there are chokes on each tb that are controlled by coolant temp from the radiator. They are spring loaded to be "on" and as the coolant temp climbs a mechanical arm pushes the chokes closed. What you may have there is some buildup not letting the arm and such move freely and once you rev the motor they vibrate and allow the chokes to close. If you prop the tank up you can see this setup. Its the big silver cylinder between cylinder 2-3 with the coolant lines going to it. Watch as it pushes out as the bike heats up. For the idle after warm, what was the setup before the kn filter and slip on, stock? If so you are currently moving more air because of the performance filter and exhaust but no way to adjust the extra fuel needed to not run lean. This coupled with the ais working at idle to make the bike run extra lean causing the idle surge. 2 other things worth checking on the 2nd gens are cleaning and setting TPS sensor and checking ignition coils, 03 did have a recall to remove the denso coils for Mitsubishi coils and even so Ive seen a few coils go bad and cause running issues.

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:40 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

I wondered what function that performed. Based on the dirt line on that piston for the auto-choke, proper movements are very minute. Noticed some tiny holes in the TB bores, before and after the manually operated throttle plates. I guess this is this motorcycle's equivalent of the idle air control valve. Curious how the TB sync screws work. It's interesting how they've engineered so many different ways it can be adjusted or "toyed" with.

Is there a separate PDF on the TB? The main manual doesn't seem to include much of anything on it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

This is brilliant, at least now I have some idea of what to attempt, I did notice that the "auto choke" cylinder was kinda stiff last time I removed the tank but didn't realise that was the operation of it.
I will also remove and clean the TPS, lube the throttle cables, and even lube the entire outer choke system.
Much appreciated guys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:59 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoss1980 View Post
2nd gen r6's have an interesting high idle setup. the throttle bodies are basically carbs with injectors in them. The way the high idle circuit works is there are chokes on each tb that are controlled by coolant temp from the radiator. They are spring loaded to be "on" and as the coolant temp climbs a mechanical arm pushes the chokes closed. What you may have there is some buildup not letting the arm and such move freely and once you rev the motor they vibrate and allow the chokes to close. If you prop the tank up you can see this setup. Its the big silver cylinder between cylinder 2-3 with the coolant lines going to it. Watch as it pushes out as the bike heats up. For the idle after warm, what was the setup before the kn filter and slip on, stock? If so you are currently moving more air because of the performance filter and exhaust but no way to adjust the extra fuel needed to not run lean. This coupled with the ais working at idle to make the bike run extra lean causing the idle surge. 2 other things worth checking on the 2nd gens are cleaning and setting TPS sensor and checking ignition coils, 03 did have a recall to remove the denso coils for Mitsubishi coils and even so Ive seen a few coils go bad and cause running issues.
the ais has no effect on the air fuel mixture. also, it was NOT a RECALL for the coils lol. it was just a service bulletin telling the techs if a bike comes in with hesitation issues to check the coils. everyone on the internet rush in telling the dealer they have this issue to get the new coils for free.
you guys are also forgetting the fact he said he had the bike torn apart. I suspect this is where the problem originated

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-04-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in