Weird noise when clutch is let out - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: Weird noise when clutch is let out

Thank you for a very thorough response. Though I think some of that might be out of my expertise since I wouldn't know what I am looking at exactly.

I do think I could at least check the tensioner and make sure its OK and not stuck. But I am wondering about when I reinstall it, how can I make sure that the pin actually gets released without taking of the whole side cover? The manual says I can just set the engine stop switch to off and use the starter a few times, but how do I know for sure that the pin actually got released?

Last edited by Ravager33; 05-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Different motorcycle and manufacturer, but the principal might be similar...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Can't speak to the tensioner issues or about any manual tensioners as mine has been fine so far.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

So I called a mechanic today and he was kind enough to let me send the video to him so he could check. He said he didn't hear the timin chain at all and instead he told me to "check if the rear sprocket will rotate when you put it in gear and rock it back and forth, engine off of course. The dampers can wear and cause chatter".

I didn't wanna bug him more so I figured I'd just ask here. What does he mean exactly? Im not to familiar with motorcycle terms in english so can someone maybe clarify exactly what I'm supposed to do?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 PM
I eat my R6

Part number 8 in the following diagram, is the damper on the rear wheel.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Especially when the engine is cold, it is true that there will still be some pressure on the wheel... when in gear. With the clutch pulled, that's a fluid coupling and they're not really that good at transmitting "A/C" type movements. In neutral, I'm not so sure that there's any pressure on the rear wheel at all. In short, I'm curious how the mech came to that conclusion. Did he see the same video that we did?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Yeah he saw the same video as you did. He said I should bring it by tomorrow and he'll show what he means. Unless he can with certainty tell me what it is I want to check the things you guys mentioned, starting with the cct. Im still not completely comfortable putting it back in and most mechanics in my area are full, and the only yamaha dealer nearby wants $318 to replace a cct. But I think I can manage it on my own with help of the manual. Do I need a specific tool to rotate the crankshaft?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

So I ended up taking the bike to him just now and he took a look and tested it. He says he is positive my cam chain and tensioner are completely fine and said that the vibration comes from the fact that sport bikes dont like low rpm. My chain needed to be lubed and I also have a dead link so I'll replace it soon but other than that, we came to the conclusion that I am simply a paranoid first bike owner.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM
I eat my R6

Does that video sound anything like the bike? I know that differences in microphones, speakers, audio encoding/decoding, processing, can make sound experiences drastically different.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I mean yeah pretty similar I'd say. Although I'd say that it doesn't really sound like its coming from the cct area and not really like its coming from inside the engine at all. I agree that it shouldn't really make that noise but I also agree with the mechanic that I shouldn't let the bike work like that on low rpm's. Also I wanna say that it makes less noise with the chain lubed, I hadn't lubed it in weeks..

So if we forget about the cct for a moment, what else could it possibly be? Maybe chain out of adjustment?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM
I eat my R6

It's common for the nut on the front sprocket to come off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in