Error code 46 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Hello all, I am ready to RIP my hair out trying to figure out what the issue with my 06 is. It started a few weeks ago on a long ride I took.. during the ride the bike got pretty hot from stand still traffic and totally shut off.. gauge clusters shut off and everything. Pulled the bike over and tried to bump start it.. was able to bump start it once it cooled down but shortly after it would start to sputter out and die.. also throwing error code 46.. and the battery was dead. Decided to trailer the bike home. Next day go to do a resistance test on the stator and everything seemed to be solid.. under 1 ohm on all 3 coils and no cont to ground. Charged up the battery and decided to test the charging voltage of the battery.. again numbers looked good.. showed that the battery was charging just fine. Took it for a ride .. rode great for 15 minutes and same thing happend.. died out of no where.

Ended up letting the bike cool down for an hour and bump starting it to get it home barely.. with no headlights whatsoever. Got it home shut it off.. and tried to start it right away.. started right up... still no headlights.

Decided today to flush and change coolant hoping it was an overheating problem. Let the bike run for about half an hour at idle.. to make sure fans were turning on and it wasn't overheating.. everything seemed good.. temp stayed under 220.. without even moving. Took it for a 10 minute ride .. check engine light came on 5 minutes in.. and same thing happend to me.. died at a red light...at around 215 degrees.

Currently stuck at a gas station waiting for it to cool down so I can bump start it and hopefully get it home 🙃.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

It's also giving me this error code.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190523_142434_1558635994704.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	361422  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:10 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: Error code 46

Er-1 is a malfunction in the ECU. Can be caused by a faulty ECU (worse case) or a wiring issue. Since your also getting Code 46 I would strip the bike down and start inspecting everything from ECU out.

Get the service manual from R6messagenet (google search). It will point you in the right direction to troubleshoot. Section 8 has all the info on Diagnostics and Error Codes.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:43 AM
zebeckdointerfone!

Bike: 2008 r6 2016 r6 2017 r6
You have a chargin problem. Charge your battery then before you trun on the bike make a voltage reading, turn on ignition start the bike read the voltage at idle , at idle the voltage should be very close to the voltage on the battery wile at rest. Then keep the rpm at 5000k steady should read arround 14v iff not you already know bike isn't charging while riding thats why she cuts off on you. After that you must diag iff can be rectifier stator flywheel or the harness your problem. More commonly its the rectifier

O lento.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Update...

Got the bike home.. decided to try a new battery because mine is about 5 years old and due for one anyways. Charging problem still exists. Double checked the resistance of the stator coils.. all fell within spec. Then did a dynamic ac voltage test on the stator with the bike running, and hot.. which showed around 17 volts at idle and around 70 volts at 5000 rpm.. which seems to me to be fine. Cleaned up the ground connection from the battery to the block with sand paper. Did a diode check on the reg rect.. which showed around .5 volts cold .. but went down to around .3 volts when warmed up.. which concerns me a little bit considering I'm ONLY having charging issues when the bike warms up. Decided to buy a reg rect and see If that does the trick. With the new battery.. clean ground.. and good stator I'm hoping it will. Waiting on that part 🙄
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:55 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Voltage drop testing helps to identify weak and insufficient electrical connections. In order for the test to be effective, the circuit(s) has to be loaded to its maximum potential. So that means running as many lights as possible, all accessories running, at higher RPMs.

I always add additional ground connections, rather than clean the existing ones; particular if they're either hard to get to, or in a spot where they're subject to conditions that accelerate corrosion. Terminals get soldered to the wire, as the terminals themselves are the most significant bottleneck in point-to-point wire connections.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:58 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Underpowered electronics will exhibit unexpected and unpredictable behavior; which is why most modern devices are designed to shutdown at a critical power level. As long as there are verifiable power issues, I would not trust error codes thrown out by the computer.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:57 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

lots of people have had bad charging systems on an R6 and don't get a error code. the bike usually just runs on until it drains the battery.
you have more issues than charging. er-1 means there is no signal from the ecu to the dash. if I were you i'd be looking for bad wiring or connectors while you're at it.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-24-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
lots of people have had bad charging systems on an R6 and don't get a error code. the bike usually just runs on until it drains the battery.
you have more issues than charging. er-1 means there is no signal from the ecu to the dash. if I were you i'd be looking for bad wiring or connectors while you're at it.
I am under the impression that I am getting the er code when my battery gets so low to the point where it cant power on the dash ect. Because I only got that code after trying to bump start it and ride it out after the battery is already dead. Does that make sense?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Voltage drop testing helps to identify weak and insufficient electrical connections. In order for the test to be effective, the circuit(s) has to be loaded to its maximum potential. So that means running as many lights as possible, all accessories running, at higher RPMs.

I always add additional ground connections, rather than clean the existing ones; particular if they're either hard to get to, or in a spot where they're subject to conditions that accelerate corrosion. Terminals get soldered to the wire, as the terminals themselves are the most significant bottleneck in point-to-point wire connections.
I never thought about doing voltage drop tests. I've heard about doing them before.. how exactly is it done? And how would I go about testing the system?

I'm assuming I would start by back probing the stator connector and back probing the reg rect connection and working my way up from there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in