LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:21 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterH View Post
Oh no.

I pulled off the throttle body and the headers to inspect the valves for any carbon buildup.

Holy heck.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You nailed it.

Where do I go from here?
Holy heck is right, wow. I'm not sure what you can do about it at this point. I would try removing the PC first and see if it runs better. Maybe try a few tanks of some type of cleaner. Another old timer trick is to use water to steam away the carbon deposits. dribble it into the intake just enough not to stall the engine. You'll have to keep working the throttle to keep it running. This actually works pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage
Re: 2003 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
Holy heck is right, wow. I'm not sure what you can do about it at this point. I would try removing the PC first and see if it runs better. Maybe try a few tanks of some type of cleaner. Another old timer trick is to use water to steam away the carbon deposits. dribble it into the intake just enough not to stall the engine. You'll have to keep working the throttle to keep it running. This actually works pretty well.
Ah gosh. My new MAP sensor should come in tomorrow afternoon. Got new crank case covers in today. I'm going to get it back together and see how it runs with a new sensor and no PC. As for the water trick, would I do that with the air box off?

Thank you!!!

Zoom zoom! <3
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:22 AM
I eat my R6

Garage

yeah you'd have to have it open. just take the lid off and the air filter out.

watch a few of these and make the decision if you want to try it. some say don't try it some say it works. I have done it in the past but didn't look inside the engine before or after. this was way back in the early 90s long before youtube lol the one rule of thumb is you don't have to do it with a lot of water. probably a 1/4 of a cup or so is more than enough

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 06-01-2019 at 04:36 AM.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Yet to work with any of the carbon buildup but I got my new MAP sensor today. Installed it and I'm still getting 5V between the ground and the signal wire! What the heck?

I got some new spark plugs and put the bike together anyway. Tried running it without the Power Commander and it was no better, if not worse. Put the PC back in and rode 20 miles before pulling the plugs again.

Wow! :

Before I pulled out the plugs I started the bike for a minute and measured the header temps. Got 112, 94, 102, 110. The two colder cylinders had the dark sooty plugs.

This makes me think I could have 2 coils going bad?

I'm planning on switching the coils around tomorrow and seeing if the problem changes cylinders if that sounds like a reasonable idea!

Zoom zoom! <3
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

cold be the coils. there is a way to test the fuel injectors. maybe they're leaking. I don't know how easy it would be to see down in there if they're dripping fuel while the system is pressurized. what you could do is move one or both of those coils and see if the cold pipe issue follows them. then you know they're not working.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:27 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Photo looks like oil fouling. Unrelated to oil control, what are the individual compression numbers like, are they even-ish and how do they compare to factory spec?

No one is going to be able to factory tune your engine over the internet. Absent of a mechanical issue, restoring it to 100% factory settings and syncing the throttle bodies will be the first necessary steps. Once everything is confirmed okay, then you can go back to reintroducing problems with the PC3.

Quote:
Holy shit did you see the pic of his ex
Exhaust port? That thing is being drowned in fuel. I'm surprised it was even running.
I was in a hurry when posting so didn't take the time to read the detailed description. That wasn't built up overnight. Short of manual cleaning, it's probably not going to disappear overnight.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Photo looks like oil fouling. Unrelated to oil control, what are the individual compression numbers like, are they even-ish and how do they compare to factory spec?

No one is going to be able to factory tune your engine over the internet. Absent of a mechanical issue, restoring it to 100% factory settings and syncing the throttle bodies will be the first necessary steps. Once everything is confirmed okay, then you can go back to reintroducing problems with the PC3.

I was in a hurry when posting so didn't take the time to read the detailed description. That wasn't built up overnight. Short of manual cleaning, it's probably not going to disappear overnight.
Well.

Did a compression test. Factory spec is 220 +/- 30 psi....

Best I can get is 120, 90, 100, and 105 psi, and that is with a tsp of oil in each cylinder. Was about 10-15 less without.

So low I bought a second compression tester from a different manufacturer, same results. This is with WOT and cranking the bike with my fully charged car battery.

Is my motor toast?

Zoom zoom! <3
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
cold be the coils. there is a way to test the fuel injectors. maybe they're leaking. I don't know how easy it would be to see down in there if they're dripping fuel while the system is pressurized. what you could do is move one or both of those coils and see if the cold pipe issue follows them. then you know they're not working.
Removed and cleaned the injectors. Also swapped them between cylinders and it did not seem to do anything.

Did a compression test, results above. Don't get your hopes up. :/

Zoom zoom! <3
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:49 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterH View Post
Well.

Did a compression test. Factory spec is 220 +/- 30 psi....

Best I can get is 120, 90, 100, and 105 psi, and that is with a tsp of oil in each cylinder. Was about 10-15 less without.

So low I bought a second compression tester from a different manufacturer, same results. This is with WOT and cranking the bike with my fully charged car battery.

Is my motor toast?
did you say if the bike has ever had the valves adjusted? low compression doesn't automatically mean it's a bad motor. stuck open valves etc can let all of the compression out.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:03 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

How many miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in