2003 R6 Mechanical Help - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2003 R6 Mechanical Help

Recently my r6 has been having mechanical issues. my bike has recently been stalling after reaching 190 degrees fahrenheit. on the first start it idles really well but once it starts getting hot it starts to idle really badly to where it shuts off on its own. i have taken friends advice and replaced the stator and rectifier and that didn’t seem to help. any advice would be greatly appreciated since this is my first bike and have no mechanical experience with motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:20 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: 2003 R6 Mechanical Help

We need more info like mileage, recent error codes if any, etc etc. Anything you can do to provide a little more back story helps everybody help you. It just helps limit the number of "shot in the dark" responses.

I would also suggest forum searching. I am pretty sure this topic has been discussed.

My "shot in the dark" response would be, have your valves ever been adjusted? The valves could be getting tight and as they expand due to the heat it could be causing them to stay open. This can cause the engine to stall and cause a bad idle. But, again just a guess until more info is presented.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Not sure it this does for second gen but on the newer R6 if you change to aftermarket exhaust that can mess upp the idle, it did it for me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 AM
I eat my R6

An exhaust will cause erratic idle but it will not cause the engine to stall out at temperature.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

The bike has 9,995 miles on it. There’s no recent error codes that pop up that i’m aware of as well. And the previous owner could have adjusted the valves but i know i haven’t. Also, a few weeks back when I was driving it home the gauges quit working and the throttle response was off until it completely shut off on its own. The battery cannot keep a charge for very long until I had changed the stator and rectifier. Now it just seems to stall after getting hot. Also it did have an aftermarket fan on it until a mechanic took it off.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:05 AM
I eat my R6

This is unrelated to your problem, but did you replace the battery after you had charging issues? Or test your battery to make sure it holds 12.6+ volts after not running for a while?

It could be a range of things being that it sounds like the bike was slightly modified for whatever reason.

Get the service manual from r6messagenet and take a look at the diagnostics section. Put your bike into diag mode and make sure your values for the TPS etc are in range.

Does the bike restart and stay running if you slightly hold the throttle open? Or restart at all?

I am by no means a mechanical expert, these are just the tests I would do in order to get as much info as possible to narrow things down. I know those bikes had issues with the TPS which can cause all sorts of problems. Sooner or later the mechanical experts will chime in, might as well gather as much info in the meantime.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM
My R6 eats me.

I bet it's the fan causing a short. The fan comes on around that temp and is likely causing a short. I bet if you disconnect the fan and it gets up to 190 and above, the bike will still run. Obviously, don't run keep running it above 200 as you could damage the engine for an extended period of time.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 AM
I eat my R6

That's not a bad observation, especially if it's happening literally at 190 each time. I just overlooked it since he said the shop replaced that DIY job with what I assumed was an OEM fan. I always give shops a little benefit of the doubt that they check their work but if this was a dealership then ok likely not a good assumption. I would also think a fuse would blow first but I suppose it depends.

Makes you wonder what the rest of the wiring is like on the bike.

Last edited by Flyers28; 06-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in