Clutch not fully disengaging after replacing clutch lever (2011 R6) - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yamahacrazy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: '11 R6 Raven
Clutch not fully disengaging after replacing clutch lever (2011 R6)

I swapped out the clutch and brake levers on my 2011 R6 with

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

. I followed a video tutorial (

) for the install, and got the levers in. The bike starts/rides fine, but it feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaging now. The below issues are occurring:
  • While riding, it shifts but it feels like it's a bit harder to shift. Almost as if I have to push up/down harder on the shifter
  • If the bike is running and in gear, when I pull the clutch lever and push the forward, I feel some resistance and it doesn't freely roll forward. Almost as if the clutch isn't fully disengaged, even though the clutch lever is fully pushed in
  • When the bike is running, it won't go into neutral. Prior to the lever replacement, it went into neutral while running no problem. However, now it won't go into neutral while running. It only goes into neutral when the bike is shut off

I adjusted the clutch free play knob back to about 5mm, and the issues are still occurring. It's possible that I haven't adjusted the free play knob correctly, or possibly that the clutch cable wasn't properly reseated into its holder when I reinstalled it. I could also need to adjust the cable at the lower adjustment on the clutch case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ElbowDeepInElmo; 06-21-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2013 Yamaha R6
Re: Clutch not fully disengaging after replacing clutch lever (2011 R6)

Did you swap the collar from the oem lever into the new one?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolankowski View Post
Did you swap the collar from the oem lever into the new one?
Do you mean this collar/bushing?

The aftermarket levers didn't have space for that collar. Looks like they filled it in so you wouldn't need to use the collar, and the clutch cable just fits directly into the hole

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

try this first

ElbowDeepInElmo likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
try this first

I actually watched this video last night and adjusted the free play using my key as the measurement tool. Just to clarify, when setting the free play, I should only be squeezing the lever just enough to feel it loosely wiggle, before it tightens up? And then I use the key as the measurement tool in the squeeze-range where the lever is loose?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:40 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElbowDeepInElmo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
try this first

I actually watched this video last night and adjusted the free play using my key as the measurement tool. Just to clarify, when setting the free play, I should only be squeezing the lever just enough to feel it loosely wiggle, before it tightens up? And then I use the key as the measurement tool in the squeeze-range where the lever is loose?
Yes, free play is exactly that. However I wouldn’t say you need to squeeze to check the free play, one finger could do it. And yes again, you can use the key or a ruler if you want to get it to some exact value.

Another thing you could try is to put the stock lever back on and see if the problems persist. If so, then assuming the stock levers had never been taken off before you, then that may confirm it was an install issue.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:07 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElbowDeepInElmo View Post
the free play means before it actually pulls on the clutch. you should have NO resistance in that range. you could consider it as slop in the cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in