05 r6 idles fine bogs when open throttle in gear - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

05 r6 idles fine bogs when open throttle in gear

Hello, I have a 2005 r6 when taking off in first gear the bike used to hesitate now it dies if I open it too fast
idle is funny it sits at 1.5 and jumps to 2k randomly

If I open the throttle too much too fast when cruising in 2nd/3rd gear the bike will bog and the power will come back randomly but I can rev it up to 12k when in neutral or pulling clutch in *my fuel pump is going out I'm pretty sure*
Also my stator is bad/out pretty sure it's completely fried because I can't even start it back up after getting fuel

I don't know what it is
My guesses are stator fuel pump clutch plates
I just had the coils and plugs replaced half a season ago so they're not bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:15 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 05 r6 idles fine bogs when open throttle in gear

I would say fix your stator first. then go from there if it still does it. the bike needs about 12-15 amps to run. a battery can only provide it with so much and the stator needs to do the rest. so it needs to be in good working order on modern bikes with a lot of electronics to run along with headlights etc.

clutches slip they wont keep it from revving up. when a clutch goes bad it will revv up but the bike wont accelerate.

it very well could be time for a new fuel pump. you're getting around that time when it seems like everyone is having issues with the 2nd gen's fuel pumps. there has been many on here recently. some are simply leaking from the return line and some have the filters inside fall apart and clog it up.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
I would say fix your stator first. then go from there if it still does it. the bike needs about 12-15 amps to run. a battery can only provide it with so much and the stator needs to do the rest. so it needs to be in good working order on modern bikes with a lot of electronics to run along with headlights etc.

clutches slip they wont keep it from revving up. when a clutch goes bad it will revv up but the bike wont accelerate.

it very well could be time for a new fuel pump. you're getting around that time when it seems like everyone is having issues with the 2nd gen's fuel pumps. there has been many on here recently. some are simply leaking from the return line and some have the filters inside fall apart and clog it up.

I see alright I have a stator coming in the mail so I'll replace that see if it fixes my problem if that fails I'll check my plugs and coils

Next step is to buy an expensive fuel pump
If that fails I'm trading my r6 in for an r1. 😂

I just read somewhere that this guy's bike was idling funny and bogging he said he had a shop reset the fault codes for 70 dollars and it fixed his problem.

I should lift the tank today and see if any lines are getting pinched

Thank you I'll keep you posted and I'll be active in this post in case anyone has a similar problem I'll say what fixes it. *If and when I get it fixed*

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2 View Post
I see alright I have a stator coming in the mail so I'll replace that see if it fixes my problem if that fails I'll check my plugs and coils

I just read somewhere that this guy's bike was idling funny and bogging he said he had a shop reset the fault codes for 70 dollars and it fixed his problem.

Thank you I'll keep you posted and I'll be active in this post in case anyone has a similar problem I'll say what fixes it. *If and when I get it fixed*
you don't have to pay anyone to do that on the 05. it has a built in diagnostic mode that allows you to test all of the electronics and reset fault codes. you just need the service manual and it's in chapter 7 how to get into diagnostic mode via the instrument cluster.

you need to download the 2003 manual. the 2005 supplement manual is for all the changes they made. like the forks etc. so get both.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Ok so I put the new stator on tested both stators with a multimeter both checked out good, took the battery to O'Reilly's battery tested bad so now I have 2 good stators and a new battery

Bikes starting up fine I dumped a quarter of a bottle of sea foam into the tank now it runs like booty but better in a way

If I dump the throttle it still bogs which leads me to the conclusion of 3 possibilities.

Clogged injector
Bad fuel pump
Bad clutch

I hope it's a clogged injector or some kind of vacuume leak, I rode it today and the bike died at a red light, it's like it's starving for fuel.

FML 🤬

Edit***** oh yeah by the way all the oil drained out of my bike when I took the stator cover off so there's that

*Has nothing to do with the dead battery problem*

I rode it to the shell filled up and couldn't start the bike again it was 100 degrees today I push started it 3 times 2 unsuccessful thank God I got it on the third try I was about to pass out lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2 View Post

you don't have to pay anyone to do that on the 05. it has a built in diagnostic mode that allows you to test all of the electronics and reset fault codes. you just need the service manual and it's in chapter 7 how to get into diagnostic mode via the instrument cluster.

you need to download the 2003 manual. the 2005 supplement manual is for all the changes they made. like the forks etc. so get both.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 3stat2; 06-29-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added detail
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Video of my bike showing what it's doing when I'm sitting in neutral.
I actually started the bike up today let it warm up *tried to find a vacuume leak* tightened the airbox checked my hoses none seemed cracked or leaking took it for a test ride first few minutes it was actually better until I got a couple more blocks

I adjusted the idle to sit at around 2k rpms and it kept dropping to 1.5 I restart my bike and the rpms shot up to 2.5 almost 3

I need help 😭 every motorcycle shop in my town is trying to hook up their dang scanner for 70-100 bucks I ask them if I can bring it to them for a test ride or just to see if they can figure out the problem by feel/hearing what it's doing they say nope we're arseholes and need money so we need to hook the scanner up and then offer to give the money back after we try and force you to let us work on your bike.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Ok I put the fuel pump on I can rev it all the way to redline but it still seems to be bogging

All I can think of is it being the plugs coils or maybe a vacuume leak if that's not the case I don't know.

I really really need more input on this guys. Please.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:18 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Can't quite pinpoint the sound source for sure, but it definitely sounds "off" in that video. Sounds like it's running on 3.1 cylinders; maybe.

I see someone already asked how do the plugs look. Well?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Can't quite pinpoint the sound source for sure, but it definitely sounds "off" in that video. Sounds like it's running on 3.1 cylinders; maybe.

I see someone already asked how do the plugs look. Well?

The problems was a combination of a bad fuel pump and fouled plugs I assume from all that seafoam I dumped in the tank trying to fix my pump just to recap

Bike discharging was due to battery

Bike not revving up to redline was the plugs/pump I think. I'm too scared to get close to 14k rpms don't want my bike to blow up lol.

She purrs like a lion now, I might need to change my coils soon but that's about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in