Bike shutting off while riding - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike shutting off while riding

So im assuming this is the starter relay just by the size of the power and ground going to it. I have been having issues where my bike lights (everything) will flicker for a second or two then the bike will shut off and run for a litte bit until the line runs out of fuel so i have time to pull over. It also has been like touchy on starting or not. Ive kind of troubleshooted it down to the plug itself going into this starter relay feels loose and the connections may need to be cleaned. Im thinking the connection is shorting or sparking, maybe even just rattling loose and then shutting the bike off, because it will turn on right after. I may have to push the plug in hard to get it to actually start though. Would this be a sign that the starter relay is going baf or should i go ahead and depin the plug and clean everything as good as i can? The relay itself is also loose so i may need to ziptie it down so it doesnt rattle and cause these problems. Any suggestions or similar issues solved. Thanks guys. (its always something lol)

Update: It just did it again and as soon as i pull the seat off, and put some pressure on the white plug (it is still locked in place) it can move a bit, bike starts right up. Going to clean connections tomorrow anyways but wondering if anyones got experience with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46DDD562-E5ED-4BFE-828B-137DAD4F2636_1563672838241.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	362446  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:30 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Bike shutting off while riding

pull the white cover off and check the cable bolts. also I don't know what kind of seat you have or if the battery is wrong, but the rubber cover over the positive cable on the battery post is cut through. it's rubbing on the bottom of the seat. it should not be doing this. this could be your issue. if it's grounding out on the seat. some plastics do have electrical conductivity. the battery hold down bracket on my R1 is plastic but the owners manual says it will conduct electric from the battery if it touches the terminals. they wrapped the wires with thick rubber wire loom so it can't cut through the wire jacket.
and I do not see your rubber band battery hold down. it's bouncing around as you ride. another bad idea. plus youre using a cheap autozone battery. it could be shorting out inside possibly because the seat is putting pressure on the posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 07-21-2019 at 06:37 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

So I cant say for sure whether or not the battery is touching the seat, but im pretty sure i fixed the problem. The relay itself was loose and bouncing around and once i got it back in place on its grommets i drove 25+ miles kind of aggressive to get it to shut off and there was no issues. I think the vibrating was the issue. As far as the battery terminal, yeah il have to replace that soon as a precaution, and the battery tie down idk where that is. It doesnt budge at all because it was hard to even get the battery out to replace. I just keep finding things missing or broken, just the perks of buying a used bike. But appreciate the help. Will update if it starts to happen again

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:35 AM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

That relay houses the main fuse for your bike, and that plug is the main positive supply to the ECU and your fuel pump. So yeah, a bad connection there could cause what you are describing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Ok thank you. I cleaned the contacts best i could and scraped the metal to see if there was any corrosion. Either this or putting the relay back on the grommets fixed the issue. 👍
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:58 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Coating the outside surfaces with dielectric grease can help seal out air... reduce corrosion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:20 PM
My R6 eats me.

Anyone near Columbia Mo

I need a stator for an R6 ASAP! I ordered one but when it came it was crap! So I need a stator to get me through the weekend. Anyone parting out an R6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in