Torque on drain plug? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Zip ties and Duct tape

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6
Torque on drain plug?

I have read pretty much every thread on this topic and there really doesn't seem to be a conclusive answer. I just changed my oil the other day and according to the manual, you are supposed to put 31ft/lbs on the plug. I have heard this is kind of a "no-no" on this bike so here's what i did instead:

Drained oil, replaced the crush washer with a genuine Yamaha factory OEM one (cost about 13$), i then tightened the plug down to 25 ft/lbs using a torque wrench until i heard the click. Everything felt fine. I guess i wanna know if this spec is okay to do. The last thing I want is to pull that plug back out next oil change and have the threads come with it... I REALLY don't like to do things by "feel" as i have had that land me in some deep trouble on past projects. Looking for some peace of mind that i did everything correctly. The plug doesn't leak at all, and from what I've read, you will know that you have stripped the threads if the bolt were to keep spinning, or if oil starts to leak out and around the plug, neither of which i have. But that information was pertaining to cars, but i assumed it would be the same for bikes? Again just looking for the peace of mind from some more knowledgeable sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:53 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Torque on drain plug?

Gearhead at work likes to use a 1/4" drive socket wrench when tightening oil pan drain plug so as not not risk stripping it out, so I started doing that. The general shade-tree suggestion on my old bike was to avoid torque specs on anything going into the engine case because torquing to spec would risk stripping out the threads. I only use a torque wrench when the threads are steel to steel, with a 10% to 15% derate if lubrication is present

IMHO torque wrench click is not a substitute for feel- very important to develop the latter so you know when things feel right or not.
yamahacrazy likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:06 PM
My R6 eat tires for lunch

Bike: 07r6-06r1

I have NEVER brought a new washer for my drain plug. All my cars, truck,bikes, i've changed oil hundreds of times. All done by feel,snug fit and a tad bit more. Never once had a problem.
yamahacrazy likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

The engineers who designed the system, they analyzed it correctly. Then, they wrote the usage procedure. I tend to follow it. I'll suggest those who want to do it correctly, they should do the same.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Oil plugs and spark plugs.
They get tight and all of the sudden they are loose again.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:39 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

bad idea homeslice. especially if youre asking on the internet, you most likely don't even know how to properly use a torque wrench. not trying to be a dick. but there is a proper way and most people don't even know it. and I just hate seeing post about guys stripping the oil pan with a torque wrench. if you don't own a $200 torque wrench it's off. and they're off by 10 to 15ft/lbs usually. especially a harbor freight special. guys love those $10 piles of garbage. but they end up ****ing up your shit.
if I were you i would just try to tighten it by hand close to what it felt like removing it. unless it's almost falling out now. once the bolt bottoms on the pan just put a little more pressure on it. that's all it needs.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gpounce likes this.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 07-23-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2018 YZF-R6 Blue

If you donít trust hand tight torque, you can always safety wire it after you tighten it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TurboBlew likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:44 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
The engineers who designed the system, they analyzed it correctly. Then, they wrote the usage procedure. I tend to follow it. I'll suggest those who want to do it correctly, they should do the same.
um take the blinders off pal.
Id love to show those "engineers" how great their tapping threads into aluminum engine cases does in the real world.
Also working around engineers on a daily basis... they are often receptive to "alternate" solutions from field people.

In this case... repeated torquing of the aluminum drain plug will result in stripped threads regardless of how ginger one is. Especially with a steel drain bolt. Best solution... a drain valve.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Zip ties and Duct tape

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6

what brand of torque wrench do you recommend?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:10 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6Ben00 View Post
what brand of torque wrench do you recommend?
you can buy a $10 one. as long as you have it checked and calibrated. even knowing how far it's off is way better than buying one from the store and just using it. that way you can compensate your settings. I just wouldnt use the service manual for the oil drain. 25ft/lbs is massive on that bolt. bottom the bolt and use a little more pressure with a wrench and it's fine. get one of those drain valves from stahlbus. you just connect the hose like an air hose and thats it.

I don't even like snap on stuff. I only trust stuff like Norbar.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 07-24-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in