'10 launches forward at 7k rpm - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2010 R6
'10 launches forward at 7k rpm

Hi all, I have a 2010 R6R with 16.5k miles that I recently purchased. Full Yoshi exhaust was on it when I bought it, I removed the PCV and installed BMC Race air filter, and Bauce Racing ECU flash. I went out for a ride last night and noticed something weird.

When riding down the street from a stop in first, the bike launches forward at 7k rpm even though I'm giving steady throttle. Literally launches forward as if I pinned the throttle.

The only issue I can think of is a frayed ECU cable from where the power commander spliced into the ECU. Going to cut and solder that tonight to see if it helps.

I'm looking for other ideas in case this doesn't work. The bike idles well, has great power above 7k rpm. Takes off from a stop great. Runs fine until 7k and launches at 7k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650
Re: '10 launches forward at 7k rpm

Why did you remove the PCV and go with a flash? Did you do this with the help of a dyno? Sounds like you are way out of tune, considering the intake and exhaust mods. I'll take a PCV over a flash any day.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

PCV vs flash is personal preference than anything else unless you're going on a dyno. I wanted the extras you get with a flash over a PCV. Neither the map in the PCV nor the map in the ECU was done with my bike on a dyno and I doubt the map in one vs the other is the issue. Unless the wrong map was installed onto my ECU by Bauce. But I have messaged Anthony to get more insight on that as well, and will update once I hear back from him.

Just asking if anyone has an idea why this might be happening. If it's a lean condition, I can look into a vacuum leak of some kind but I don't think that's it as the change is immediate at a certain RPM and idle is stable.

Last edited by okrider; 08-16-2019 at 12:59 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Update: Replaced coils and spark plugs. Went for a ride, the hesitation has moved up in the rpm range. Now it hesitates at ~8500rpm and shoots forward afterwards. I was interpreting it as a launch but it feels like it's launching due to the hesitation prior to it. The bike acts like it's starving for fuel at that rpm specifically (as if it hit the rev limiter for a second) followed by fixing itself and riding normal above that rpm.

It also idles fine and goes up to 8k-8500 just fine. Tested the TPS readings in diag mode and there's no flickering of the readings (it doesn't drop all of a sudden and come back up). The min and max values are within spec. There's no codes stored in the diag mode either after my test ride this morning.

I'm thinking of removing and cleaning the TPS at this point to see if it improves at all in case the reading on the dash doesn't catch momentary drops.

Anyone have any thoughts on what may cause this?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:30 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

You can't clean the newer gen TPS's. They are completely sealed. You will end up causing more harm then good. Have you put the bike on a dyno? Anthony is damn good at his job, but nothing beats having the bike on a dyno so he can work with real numbers.

I'd start there before you start ripping apart the bike. Get a reputable shop with a dyno to give you a printout with a/f mix etc.. Send ECU and printout back to Ant so he can make some adjustments.

Last edited by Flyers28; 08-23-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I honestly don't think it's a flash or map problem. The same flash works for a bunch of people with no issue. I think at best changing the map would hide the problem. I did just email Anthony to see what he'll say

Last edited by okrider; 08-23-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Found
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
which sounds very much like my problem. Going to be checking the fuel lines tonight for a kink of any kind, run the diagnostic on all injectors to see if I can find a fault. If not, I think my next step is to figure out a dyno tune

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by okrider; 08-23-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in