2003 R6 Power Issues - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Question 2003 R6 Power Issues

Hello all,

I want to preface this by saying that I will be taking my bike in for service on Monday. I am simply trying to get an idea of the cost of a potential repair based on the part(s) I may need. Doing research, I found a myriad of people with similar problems, with wildly varying solutions from fuel pumps, coils, spark plugs, and TPS. I DO understand that this is impossible to diagnose without testing, but I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction at the very least.

I have a 2003 R6 with 43,xxx miles. Hello all,

I want to preface this by saying that I will be taking my bike in for service on Monday. I am simply trying to get an idea of the cost of a potential repair based on the part(s) I may need. Doing research, I found a myriad of people with similar problems, with wildly varying solutions from fuel pumps, coils, spark plugs, and TPS. I DO understand that this is impossible to diagnose without testing, but I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction at the very least.

I have a 2003 R6 with 43,xxx miles. At about ~39,xxx miles, I noticed an issue in which my engine was idling at significantly lower RPMs. This would only usually happen when the bike was within the 120-140 range, it would seem like the bike was almost about to die at idle but it never did. I also had my coils replaced, and injectors cleaned last year at about 32,xxx miles.

Fast forward to this week, and it seems like the issue has deteriorated, or there is a different one altogether. On the freeway at standard speeds (75-85 MPH), the bike's power delivery seems to be cutting in and out with the throttle open. Even when just maintaining a certain speed, the bike periodically has moments where the power delivery seems to freeze for just a second, before returning right back to the norm. Also, I have noticed that this happens every single time the moment I go over a significant bump on the freeway (gotta love LA roads!) , and ONLY with a tank less than half full. When I get off the freeway, the bike completely cuts out on the off-ramp when I come to a stop. I've also noticed that I have to hold the throttle significantly more open than before to maintain freeway speeds.

In addition to everything else, last night the exhaust was shooting short blue flames after downshifts or when I would close the throttle. At about ~39,xxx miles, I noticed an issue in which my engine was idling at significantly lower RPMs. This would only usually happen when the bike was within the 120-140 range, it would seem like the bike was almost about to die at idle but it never did. I also had my coils replaced, and injectors cleaned last year at about 32,xxx miles.

Fast forward to this week, and it seems like the issue has deteriorated, or there is a different one altogether. On the freeway at standard speeds (75-85 MPH), the bike's power delivery seems to be cutting in and out with the throttle open. Even when just maintaining a certain speed, the bike periodically has moments where the power delivery seems to freeze for just a second, before returning right back to the norm. Also, I have noticed that this happens every single time the moment I go over a significant bump on the freeway (gotta love LA roads!) , and ONLY with a tank less than half full. When I get off the freeway, the bike completely cuts out on the off-ramp when I come to a stop. I've also noticed that I have to hold the throttle significantly more open than before to maintain freeway speeds.

In addition to everything else, last night the exhaust was shooting short blue flames after downshifts or when I would close the throttle.

I don't have a power commander on the bike, and I changed my oil+filter (regularly scheduled oil change) about 200 miles ago, but after these problems were already occurring.

Thank you guys in advance, I appreciate any and all useful input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in