Running Rough with White smoke - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Running Rough with White smoke

Hello,
I have a 2004 Yamaha R6. It has a moderate oil leak and I suspected it was coming from the valve cover, therefore, I took off the throttle body to get a better look at the back left portion of the valve cover. However, it turned out there was no oil coming from any part of the upper engine.
After putting everything back together the bike runs very rough both at idle and when on the throttle. Also, there is a puff of white smoke that comes out of the exhaust after the bike is revved up to about 8000 rpm and then let off.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Running Rough with White smoke

Sounds like it isn't burning all of your fuel. (white smoke) Read your spark plugs and check that they're appropriately gapped; clean. Test your ignition coils. There are two tests, diagnostic mode with a spark gap tester and reading resistances. Make sure you have a good batch of premium fuel and pressure. The service manual will have vacuum and compression information.
Straight Success likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Alright, I will definitely check into the spark plugs! Thank you!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:00 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Check your coolant level as well as your oil to see if its been contaminated with water or coolant. You're either burning oil or coolant. Both are bad situations, so be optimistic for the former with no ring problems. It could be in need of new valve guides.

BTW, how many miles on her?

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

She has 45k miles and doesn't appear to be maintained very well, but I got her cheap. And what are good spots to check for where coolant could be getting in, I a still pretty new to bikes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Could any part of it have anything to do with throttle bodies being out of sync?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
No such thing as white smoke coming from an IC engine. You either have white steam (coolant), grey smoke, (oil), or black smoke (fuel).

Sounds almost like you forgot a vacuum line. Especially if it wasn’t running this way before. A lil puff of grey smoke (oil) isn’t that big of a deal if it’s minor. If your losing oil because of blow by (more grey smoke out of the exhaust) might be time to look at a new bike.

If it were me, I’d double check all the vacuum lines and hoses. Then I’d pull the plugs looking for oil on them.

- Black Widow -
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helihover View Post
No such thing as white smoke coming from an IC engine. You either have white steam (coolant), grey smoke, (oil), or black smoke (fuel). ......................
The smell of the exhaust is what tells the story. Across different vehicles, I've personally witnessed all conditions. Rather than making assumptions about what it is or isn't, part of *our* questioning should be, "what does it smell like". I've seen/smelled white smoke in the form of oil, fuel and coolant. Each of course, smell distinctively different. (rode around two today who were burning white smoke as oil) The fuel I witnessed was brief. Black, I recall witnessing from diesels, two-strokes, coal burning steam engines and "old man" town cars that probably hadn't seen sudden acceleration since 2015.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:58 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Smell is a serious give away.

A bike running lean or rich vs one burning oil vs one burning coolant will be very distinct, and even the average person can tell which is which. Buring coolant smells like fruit coming from an exhaust. Oil smells like ��. Fuel smells like something fast, ��. The only problem is, people that run at the track don't really use 'coolant.' We run distilled water or some other varient.

If you are unsure of the exact color, place a white cloth/towel in front of the exhaust, and let the exaust smoke soak into the towel/cloth (don't completely cover the exhuast, it still has to breathe). Look at the cloth/towel after about 20 seconds, and that will help identify the color of what's escaping.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 09-17-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:44 PM
My R6 eats me.

Well, to tell you my story - I got a massive oil leak into the airbox, white smoke was comming from the between of the headlights, smelled like burnt oil with fuel. If its coolant - it smells sweet, if oil/gasoline - smells heavy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in