First 600mi service. Too early? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

First 600mi service. Too early?

Im currently at 400mi and want to do an oil and filter change. Is it too early? Im going to a 250mi roundtrip this weekend. So that would leave me to change it at 400 or 650. I am also doing a "hard break in" AKA redlining and running 100mph++. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: First 600mi service. Too early?

I would base it on your riding habit during those 400 miles. If you rode it hard or aggressive, I'd say you're fine to do the oil change now. If you babied the s**t out of it or just cruised, I say wait until after your trip after opening it up some - essentially follow the manual.

You'll notice upon doing the first service, which includes checking a lot of things to be in spec at ~600 miles, your oil will contain a lot of fine metal in it. I know mine did. The very thin oil they use from the factory will have a mirror like metallic look to it from all of the metal floating in the oil. Either way you should be fine. I've witnessed people do the service both early and kinda late. It was the ones who waited later to do it are those who ran into oil problems down the line. I know people who purchased a bike brand new, ripped on it at the track for a track day as their break-in, and then changed the oil right after. On a track day, typically the full day will rack up somewhere around 100 - 150 miles.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 09-21-2019 at 05:56 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
I would base it on your riding habit during those 400 miles. It you rode it hard or aggressive, I'd say you're fine to do the oil change now. If you babied the s**t out of it or just cruised, I say wait until after your trip after opening it up some - essentially follow the manual.

You'll notice upon doing the first service, which includes checking a lot of things to be in spec at ~600 miles, your oil will contain a lot of fine metal in it. I know mine did. The very thin oil they use from the factory will have a mirror like metallic look to it from all of the metal floating in the oil. Either way you should be fine. I've witnessed people do the service both early and kinda late. It was the ones who waited later to do it are those who ran into oil problems down the line. I know people who purchased a bike brand new, ripped on it at the track for a track day as their break-in, and then changed the oil right after. On a track day, typically the full day will rack up somewhere around 100 - 150 miles.

Just my thoughts and opinion.
Good to know!! Yeah I've been riding aggressive after 100miles. From 200-400 I've treating it as if it wasn't brand new (red lined and reached 130 mph). Well looks like I'll be doing an oil change before the trip.

Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:16 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2018 Blue R6

I did my first oilchange at about 650-700 for some nice motul oil. its all preference!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:18 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

i'm more of a do it by the manual guy. having said that, I did a track day on my bike with 500 miles on it lol
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Personal opinion, you can never change it too early. (no harm) You can however waste oil, waste money. I've read somewhere that it's it's illegal to "short change" in the EU, for environmental reasons. Only once have I ever changed oil without changing the filter. (because the filter had only a handful of miles on it and needed to drain the oil for engine service)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:37 AM
YZFR6... ooodles of HP

Bike: 2017 YZFR6HC

I changed mine at 350ish for rotella 15w40 then at 1100 put rotella 5w40 t6 full synthetic and a k&n in due to not finding the 63.8mm cup socket. No issues with particles or ring blow by.. sitting at 4700+ in under 7 weeks and due again.

MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91-'19]

2017 YZFR6HC....2002 ZX9R....1993 KTM 300EXC....1983 VF750F....1981 GPz 550D1 (x2.5)....1975 DT400B....1972 LT-2....1971 SL350K1....1967 CT90K1....Plus more projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in