Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Removing Swingarm

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 ·
Im replacing my swingarm in a few weeks and I was wondering about a couple ways to support the bike so I don't have to remove fairings and stuff. For example, is the stock exhaust strong enough to support the entire bike if I just put something under the cat? Or could I use a set of jack stand under the foot pegs? Saw someone do the latter in a video but Im not sure if the foot pegs are strong enough?

Also, is there anything else I might need to think about when doing this?

#2 ·
NOOOOO

DO NOT USE THE EXHAUST TO SUPPORT THE BIKE. I guarantee if you tried this you would either snap an exhaust stud, or completely bend the the cat box. Don't do it.

I would put jack stands underneath the rear-sets.

The ladder method looks sketchy. I would not trust the passenger pegs to not snap while your baby is just hanging there.

Here's a link to another thread where you might find some useful info:

https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/57-garage-mechanical-help/97210-swingarm-removal-installation.html

#6 ·
No need to replace bearings unless they are damaged. But the swingarm is one of those things that hardly ever come off and when it does it's a chore. So use this time to clean everything really well and re-lube everything that needs to be re-lubed (see service manual).

#11 ·
I use Maxima suspension clean. It's not as harsh as something like brake cleaner (and smells better too, haha). But most degreasers should work. For the bolts and what not obviously brake cleaner is fine, but anything with rubber keep brake cleaner away. Nothing really special about cleaning so don't overthink it. The important thing is that all moving parts and needle bearings are completely dirt free. The rest is just cosmetic and up-keep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.