Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Charging System On A R6

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jx_hennessy 
#1 ·
MY bike has around 65k Miles , I've been having some charging issues and my battery keeps dying.
Brand new shorai battery LFX12A1-BS1

My mechanic replaced my rectifier /stator .(wasn't there when the repair was been done )
Bike runs great after 2 weeks then boom , battery dies on me. when i was on a road trip. speedometer went out then the headlights, but bike will ride , but will run crappy ,if i shut it off , it will not start back , even if i try bump starting it .

I am a cross-road and kinda upset , because i've tried and checked everything . only thing that i havent replaced is the flywheel..

How hard is the flywheel to go bad in these bikes ??
Is there a way to find out if the recitifier is good or no? i tried the resitance test

#2 ·
Well, you can do electrical tests on the stator to check its resistance and, if the bike is running, check its output. So, there is no need to guess and throw parts at it until you have done that. If the voltage out of the stator looks good, but that out of the rectifier doesn't, then you need a rectifier. It is entirely possible that a connection came loose on the battery or on one of the new parts or one of the new parts just up and died.

#5 ·
Your surprised ? If you take care of these machines and not crash :) it will last you

Got it with around 38k miles ,I did change the cam chain , cam guides, replaced with a manual cnc cam tensioner ,and the normal maintenance , thats the most engine work i did on it since i've had it.
running great except for my charging issue

#6 ·
Since the stator, battery, and rectifier are new and it's still not charging properly, I'd check the connections between them. Even a loose ground wire can cause havoc. Then testing the voltage across the battery when it's running to see if the voltage is high enough. Actually, it's probably a good idea to check the voltage across the battery before and after. That way you know if there's a change from tightening anything up.

#9 ·
OPEN GATE IN REGULATOR , REG HAS TO BE READ BOTH IN AND OUT BY CROSSING WIRES AND RETESTING YOU,LL FIND A TWO WAY RESISTOR IF ORIGINAL ITS VOLT READINGS ALLOVER PLACE AND MAYBE 13.2 AT TICKOVER , NEW MOSFET ONES 14.0V AT TICKOVER IF STUCK BELL ME MY NUMBER ON E BAY 5EB CARBS YAM FLAG AS BACKGROUND N ILL TALK YOU THROUGH TESTS ....PARTS COST ADVICE IS FREE "PSYCHO CARBS" SI

#10 ·
Here is my discovery now, i plug my multi-meter leads to the output of the regulator (red and black wires coming out the reg.)
My radiator fans are hard-wired , so they come on when the bike is running , both of them .. I take out out the 15a fuse and i am getting the correct readings (14.1 volts @ 5k), if i take out both 15a rad fan fuses - i get 14.4 volts max ) if i rev past 5k it still tops off at 14.4 so my assumption is that my regulator is good. problem now is that i have to run my radiator fan, so what can i do ??? if i take out one of the 15amp fuses , it runs @14.1 @5k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.