Front sprocket nut fell off! Help! - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 PM
My R6 has returned!!

Bike: 2005 R6, 2007 R1
Re: Front sprocket nut fell off! Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoR6 View Post
Bloody hell. Will the recall still be valid as I'm in the UK? It's rediculous it's only just hitting me about how serious it could have been.

Thanks for the posts guys very helpful! Is it possible to rethread the drive shaft with the dies without taking the engine out? The die sets here in england from what I've seen don't have extensions or anything to get in the tight space by the drive shaft...
How bad is your thread on the secondary drive? I mean what's the depth at now?

if you have anything over 1mm then you're fine with a new nut+washer and good application. Clean up the shaft and measure the thread depth - unless of course it's flat, in which case...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Threads on there are pretty strong - mine survived 100+ mph and some wrist twisting out of confusion before I finally came to a safe stop 100m after the fact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6S

all you who this is happening to did you torque the nut or just gudentight it? and did you use a new crush washer and install it properly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Power Commander 3..............-Full Yoshi Exhaust
-Graves Smog Blockoffs...........-K+N Air Filter
-Galfer SS Brake Lines......a.....-15T Front Sprocket
-Hyperpro Damper
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
click, click, vroom!

Bike: 2003 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnaR6 View Post
Maybe we should form a club
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
you could call yourselves the ...

chain gang

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 R6 5SL

The thread depth is shallow towards the end of the shaft then it gets gradually better towards the engine casing side. I'd say it was about 1mm at worst but its like the threads have squashed together at the beginning of the thread (worst part to mess up) and have hardly any gap between them on the worst bits.

Am I right in saying the die sets have to be used perpendicular to the drive shaft, as in is there any way to extend them out the way of the frame so you can actually fit the tool in?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
What's an R6? R2D2's bro?

Bike: 2000 R6 Champions LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by klone View Post
there is a recall on the '03 bikes for that nut and lock washer. i didn't know about it until i took my VIN up to the local shop so that they could run it and confirm that the bad coils i had were covered by a service bulletin. they were, and he ordered them ... but he also handed me that sprocket nut and lock washer sayng, "these are recalled on this bike, you'll want to replace these as soon as you get a chance". so you can call yamaha, but they've already acknowledged there's a problem. you're lucky you found out the way you did, it could have been messy.
I'm confused. Did they had you the recalled part replacements and expect you to do the work yourself? I am waiting on this same part (for my 2000) and I'd rather not work on it myself since I don't have the time lately, will they be expecting me to do the work or what??? Shouldn't this be warrantee work (free)?
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM
click, click, vroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eXa View Post
will they be expecting me to do the work or what??? Shouldn't this be warrantee work (free)?
no, i'm sure the work is covered by them. they gave me the replacement nut and lock washer for the same reason they gave me my coil packs instead of scheduling a time to bring the bike in ... they know i do all the work on my bike. if you don't want to do the work yourself, or just don't have time, i'd imagine that it is covered. call them and ask.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:03 PM
What's an R6? R2D2's bro?

Bike: 2000 R6 Champions LE

ah ok. Thanks
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:04 PM
click, click, vroom!

sure thing. give your shop a ring and talk it over with them, i'm sure they'll be fair about it.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 AM
My R6 has returned!!

Bike: 2005 R6, 2007 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoR6 View Post
The thread depth is shallow towards the end of the shaft then it gets gradually better towards the engine casing side. I'd say it was about 1mm at worst but its like the threads have squashed together at the beginning of the thread (worst part to mess up) and have hardly any gap between them on the worst bits.

Am I right in saying the die sets have to be used perpendicular to the drive shaft, as in is there any way to extend them out the way of the frame so you can actually fit the tool in?
If you mean the die stock itself - then yes, I've never seen a die turned in any other way. The best you can do is to try to get a shorter stock (or amputate long ones) and figure out some way to turn it perpendicularly to the stock. That's the only idea I have.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 R6 5SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnaR6 View Post
If you mean the die stock itself - then yes, I've never seen a die turned in any other way. The best you can do is to try to get a shorter stock (or amputate long ones) and figure out some way to turn it perpendicularly to the stock. That's the only idea I have.
It's hard to explain, I don't mean the actual die but the tool that goes on top of the die to turn it. The ones I've seen have long handles that point out of it so it clearly wont be able to be turned near the shaft because the frame would get in the way.

Out of interest does anyone know the diameter of the thread on the end of the drive shaft?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in