Front sprocket nut fell off! Help! - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 AM
My R6 has returned!!

Bike: 2005 R6, 2007 R1
Re: Front sprocket nut fell off! Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoR6 View Post
It's hard to explain, I don't mean the actual die but the tool that goes on top of the die to turn it. The ones I've seen have long handles that point out of it so it clearly wont be able to be turned near the shaft because the frame would get in the way.

Out of interest does anyone know the diameter of the thread on the end of the drive shaft?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yeah - I figured as much - the tool is called a die stock or at least that's what I always called it. And what I was saying is to try to find a short stock or cut one down so that it fits, then work out a way to grip and turn it. I don't know of any extensions for the stock-die but maybe they exist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 R6 5SL

I see, I might have found a solution just now it's a hexagonal die stock so you can simply put a socket and extension on and away you go.

Just rang my local Yamaha dealer and they know about the recall for the american ones but they weren't helpfull at all, couldn't find out the diamater of the drive shaft and said I'd have to come in with my VIN chassy number to order the new nut.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is down aswell so I can't even get in touch with Yamaha directly.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 AM
I sold my R6

Bike: 04 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoR6 View Post
Bloody hell. Will the recall still be valid as I'm in the UK? It's rediculous it's only just hitting me about how serious it could have been.

Thanks for the posts guys very helpful! Is it possible to rethread the drive shaft with the dies without taking the engine out? The die sets here in england from what I've seen don't have extensions or anything to get in the tight space by the drive shaft...
I would take it up with yamaha. You might be able to get them to pay for everything since it was a part that they knew was faulty that failed. That is BS you didn't get a letter or any notice. My 04 R6 had the same recall and I got notified in 2007.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2001 R6 CLE #653/1000

same thing happened to me about a month ago. except the nut didn't just fall off and rattle around inside the casing. it jammed in behind the sprocket while i was going about 60mph in 3rd. instantly snapped the engine casing, spraying my foot and rear tire with oil. i kept riding for a while until i realized my left foot was really warm. sprocket didn't fall off.

if anyone's selling a first gen motor let me know.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Jesus Reigns

Bike: 2009 R6s

I talked to a freind today about changing the chain when it comes time, and he said he just had his put on, because getting the front sprocket off is a pain. Had to use an air gun and everything. I really don't want to take it to have it done, if there's anyway at all I can do it

Shogun cut sliders
Graves fender eliminator
Motodynamic integrated taillights
Hotbodies Flushmounts
6000k Luminics Pure Blue headlights
SpeedoDRD
BMC Air Filter
Powercommander III
Level One Racing exhaust
Custom powercommander map

ASV Levers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We'll sing until the whole world hears

Praise the Father, praise the Son.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:12 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2001 R6

Sorry to revive a dead thread. But, I changed the chain and sprockets on my bike. We had a nice day and my gf and I took it for a spin. It ran fine, rode great. We rode probably 60 miles or so. Nothing huge but enough to get the first one of the year under us. Then, last night a buddy of mine and I took ours for another, colder ride. We were at the last 5 miles of our ride headed back to his house. We got on this interstate and about 1 mile on the interstate we played a little. The last time I looked at the speedometer was at 96. It climbed a little more before it happened. Heard the noise, couldn't catch a gear to beat hell. Sure enough it come loose, smacked the plastic sprocket housing, ripped a chunk of it out and it brought a piece of the case with it. I spilled all of my oil all over the road. Oh joy.

Smitty

2001 R6- Yoshi Slip-on and K&N Filter
1993 Honda Prelude- project nightmare
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 12:29 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2005 R6
Im having same issue with my 2005 r6. Took extended swingarms off the bike i bought from a friend, replaced chain and rear sprocket and the guy helping me told me i was missing the front sprocket nut and not to ride it again till i got one. Well i got the nut and washer put it on and went for a ride. Rode about 25 miles or so stopped to check chain and noticed the nut had fell off! Tried to go home and the sprocket fell off! Had rode the bike about 3k miles without a nut on the front sprocket and this never happened while i had the extended swingarm... Now this so use blue locktite on the next nut? A friend told me to use red
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljaj88 View Post
Im having same issue with my 2005 r6. Took extended swingarms off the bike i bought from a friend, replaced chain and rear sprocket and the guy helping me told me i was missing the front sprocket nut and not to ride it again till i got one. Well i got the nut and washer put it on and went for a ride. Rode about 25 miles or so stopped to check chain and noticed the nut had fell off! Tried to go home and the sprocket fell off! Had rode the bike about 3k miles without a nut on the front sprocket and this never happened while i had the extended swingarm... Now this so use blue locktite on the next nut? A friend told me to use red
If the tabs of the lock washer were folded over the sides of the sprocket nut, I can't even fathom how the nut could come off. Yikes!

And how you rode 3000 miles with no nut at all!?! Holy freakin' yikes!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:07 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2005 R6
Lol no idea man and ive been up to 140 a few times never fell off...
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 02:41 PM
My R6 eats me.

I was out riding close to home, no noise, no vibration, nothing just lost drive. Took covers off to find sprocket sitting on the threads. The threads were worn off with no chance of fitting a nut back on. When I removed the cover it was covered in black Christmas a in oil with no disturbance marks, scrapes or holes. Not sure there was a nut there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in