Front sprocket nut fell off! Help! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 03 R6 5SL
Front sprocket nut fell off! Help!

Just a quick one from me, I was riding along today and all of a sudden I hear a bag of nails noise from my engine, lost power completely as in it would rev but no drive what so ever. Pulled over and it seemed like the front sprocket had packed in.

About 3 hours and a bike on van load later we managed to strip the cover off the front sprocket and the nut that holds the sprocket on had undone itself and flung off (bag of nails noise). Being completely realistic here I got off lightly because it could have been a lot more serious.

So anyway the drive shaft from the gearbox had held the sprocket on but was spinning freely, and what it's done is worn the thread on the end of the drive shaft where the nut screws on to secure the front sprocket. It looks repairable but I've got a good mind to ring Yamaha up and have a word because this should never happen to any motorbike!!

Has anyone ever experienced or heard of this before? And out of interest how much would a new drive shaft set me back (worst case scenario).

It's a 2003 model YZF-R6 5SL with 14,500 miles on the clock. Both sprockets were both in good condition and still are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Nut 'N Bitch

Bike: 07 R6 - Blue
Re: Front sprocket nut fell off! Help!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
That's not good George... not good at all

-Get Well Soon T-1. Thoughts are with you buddy-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdrips View Post
and if you had any common sense, you'd know that you're more likely to kill someone else on a track than on a highway.
2007 Yamaha R6
Performance
-Full Leo Vince SKB Carbon Exhaust
-Bazzaz ZFI Module
-Bazzaz ZAFM Self Mapping
-BMC Race Filter
-Grave Smog Block-offs
-Driven -1 Front Sprocket
-Air Intake Mod
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Tell me about it! Any ideas?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
I miss Cali rides :/

Bike: Custom 08

happened to me but did not destroy the threads. there is a thread i posted on. you are right, could have been much worse. lucky it was just a bike tow and not a trip to the er! you can get the threads cut with a proper die set and replace the washer and nut. mine will be here tomorrow. so ill be up and running again. use an impact wrench and blue locktite. also fold a portion of the washer over the nut. that is the part i dont understand is if the washer is folded it should help prevent the backing off of the nut. meh, just be thankful it wasnt worse. get er fixed and ride safe!!!

edit: here is the thread:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

seems to be common for 03 models...

Will
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 PM
click, click, vroom!

Bike: 2003 R6

there is a recall on the '03 bikes for that nut and lock washer. i didn't know about it until i took my VIN up to the local shop so that they could run it and confirm that the bad coils i had were covered by a service bulletin. they were, and he ordered them ... but he also handed me that sprocket nut and lock washer sayng, "these are recalled on this bike, you'll want to replace these as soon as you get a chance". so you can call yamaha, but they've already acknowledged there's a problem. you're lucky you found out the way you did, it could have been messy.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bloody hell. Will the recall still be valid as I'm in the UK? It's rediculous it's only just hitting me about how serious it could have been.

Thanks for the posts guys very helpful! Is it possible to rethread the drive shaft with the dies without taking the engine out? The die sets here in england from what I've seen don't have extensions or anything to get in the tight space by the drive shaft...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM
My R6 has returned!!

Bike: 2005 R6, 2007 R1

It happens - happened to me twice. Get those threads sorted and loctite that nut back on there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:38 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

VarnaR6,

I was wondering if you'd chime in here.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:46 PM
My R6 has returned!!

Bike: 2005 R6, 2007 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
VarnaR6,

I was wondering if you'd chime in here.
lol - you know, I felt so lonely when that happened to me - confused and totally out of it. I'd just never heard of anything like that happening before - so when I read these - figure gotta show some solidarity

Maybe we should form a club

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:50 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnaR6 View Post
....Maybe we should form a club
Changed my chain and sprockets last month. I hope it's not a club I have to join. I think I'll go back and check it as I prep my bike for a track day next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in