Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums - View Single Post - 2012 R6 - First Track Day - Looking For Advice/Tips
View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM
joseph salemi
My R6 eats me.

Re: 2012 R6 - First Track Day - Looking For Advice/Tips

Hello, this is my comment on the Q4's, waste of money. My son tracks and used to use the Q3+ for tracking and canyons, was able to get 4 times the amount of mileage over the Q4. He gets 1 1/2 track days on the Q4's and 3 track days on the Q3's, He is upper intermediate and going to the faster group next track day. The Q4's are a waste of money and very soft compound, wear out real fast. He is on a GSXR-750 and his weight is 157lbs. Tracks at chuckwalla raceway, the Q3 are good for times down to a 2min. lap, maybe the Q4 will go down to 1:57, approximately 2 seconds faster. Calculate in the cost, your better off to go from a Q3 to racing tires at those speeds, GPA might be a good choice. I ride a Triumph Street triple RS and run a little over 4sec. slower than my son and use a Q4 as well, I will be switching back to a Q3 tire for tracking due to my slower times. Big hype on the Q4's and definitely not worth the extra money with less results. A lot of my friends are going the same route and as mentioned you can still get your times down low before going to a GPA tire. Good luck and ride safe!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome