99-02 guys, post your carb settings/mods/elevation - Page 29 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: listed in sig
Re: 99-02 guys, post your carb settings/mods/elevation

Friendly reminder guys, something I posted some time ago to help get people going in the right direction rather than chase the dragon doing it all wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shush319 View Post

Wanted to mention... (I remember reading this on Factory Pro's website somewhere awhile ago)
When tuning carbs, the main jets have to be right FIRST. If you don't get the right mains first, everything else is pretty much going to have to change again after you do get the right jets. If you have never installed a jet kit or read the tuning instructions, they follow in order like this:
1. Main jets
2. Adjust Needles
3. Adjust Float Height (if necessary)
4. Adjust Pilot Screws

If you don't follow that order, you will have to go back and do steps 2,3,4 again when the jets are changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SFLMiniGP #31

Bikez (past):
01' Champions Limited R6 (retiring from racing) now traded for a truck :-( gonna miss the old girl))
88' GSXR 750
02' R1 (sold)
04' Zuma BEAST MODE ENGAGED! 70cc S6 BBK and pipe, 68mph on flat land!
(sold, was doing 75 before it sold)
01' XR70R (sold)
99' CR125R (sold)

Bikez Current:
07' R6r (Race/Street)
99 Aprilia Sr50 LC (over 80 mph on a 2t 70cc scooter is super sketchy)

17' Honda Grom (SFLMiniGP #31)
??' 50cc air cooled pocket bike (dangerous!)
90's Blata 40cc water cooled pocket bike (seriously dangerous! 50mph with my 170lb azz.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 289 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I get paid to get high

Bike: Neat ones

#40 pilots, pilot screws 2.5 out, stock mains, .5 mm shims on stock needles. OEM filter, 2nd gen GYT-R CF slip on. Runs good, pulls hard all the way through. Gets a little argumentative if its real hot out. Usually anywhere from sea level to about 1000'. Been thinking of running 152 mains on all four. Why are the inside ones 148?
post #283 of 289 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM
My R6 eats me.

UPDATED:

1999 R6
Stock air filter
Danmoto Ti slip-on exhaust with street insert
Ivan's Jet kit installed as instructions state
#148 main jets
#38 pilot jets
Screw turned out 2.5 turns
Needle clip #3 from top

Still have a spot around 7500-8500RPM that I get s slight sputter with WOT

post #284 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 AM
My R6 eats me.

Hello everyone!

I have an 01 R6 that had a Yosh TRS slip on installed. I recently replaced that with a dan moto XG-1. The carbs need adjusted for sure, any ideas where i should start going from a TRS to a dan moto XG-1? The new exhaust is wide open for the most part. See my build below. Thanks for the help in advance, i am just not sure what jets to buy and what carb settings i should start with.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #285 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM
My R6 eats me.

Go to ur local motorcycle shop with a dyno and let them mess around with it instead of wasting riding time and removing everything over and over and still run like shit. I was on dyno for 2h and dont reget the cost.
post #286 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:44 AM
My R6 eats me.

Hopefully somebody has still some knowledge about the old carbs... Chief are you still there? ^^

My R6 2001 has the following setup:
- BMC Race air cleaner
- Akraprovic full exhaust (manifold + muffler)
- 4į Ign Advancer
- Carbs short funnels

I replace my carbs cause of some issue from the pre-owner of my bike... the carbs shall be from the YEC Kit.
- Main jet 1&4 : 118 - 2&3 : 120
- Pilot 38
- Needles 1&4: N9WA - 2&3 N8NC both in 2nd clip position
- Screw 3 turns out -> CO 3%

When I perform the 7/8 throttle test the bike pushs me very hard - so for my feeling the mains are far too lean.
According YEC KIT it should be much bigger.

1/2 - full throttle the engine feels not smooth between 5k-8k -> needle position as far as I understood so far, but first find the correct main jet.

BUT the YEC Kit says inside (!) jetting bigger than outside. I know that the needles are important for this fact but I don't find any information about "such" needles.
Is somebody able to help me?

I will measure the needles and provide some information about. In the YEC Kit they put 128 Mains in the middle cyl and 125 Mains in the outside cyl.
I will order some mains and do the same - when I'm a step too rich - how much is one jet size to big in Lambda/AFR? Is there any statement possible?

My issue is that I don't have any dyno next to me and I can't drive "easy" on a bench to test it... I will do it "off season".
post #287 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:06 PM
My R6 eats me.

99-02 guys, post your carb settings/mods/elevation

Me again. New main jets arrived today.
First I measured the needles. Of course I mixed them. No marking on them.

May somebody can identify them, maybe somebody needs this information in 10 years.

However, they are 60mm long. 1 taper at 24mm with OD 2.50mm and the tip is 1.45mm - I put them in the outside cylinder. And the other tip is 1.55mm - I put them in the inner cylinders.
5 clips in total. I have them on position 2 - with one washer of each side.

Inner jets 125 and outer 122. Like in the YEC Kit manual mentioned - big main and bigger needle tip - makes sense for me
WOT the inner cylinder leans out because of heat - thatís my understanding so far.

Pilot jet 38 - may I will change it to 40, I have a lot of lean bang in the exhaust, some over fueling bang would be nicer. I will check if I have some issues during driving - could image I let it bang a little bit (no bang at the intake).

Alternator connector is burned - I have to repair tomorrow first. Then I will take a ride.

Coolant connection to the carbs also dismounted..
post #288 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 PM
My R6 eats me.

Setup 125 inner, 122 outer - needles 2nd Position and thin washer.
No full throttle lags any more.
1st gear easy lifting of the front wheel - surprised me a little bit to be honest

WOT and then 7/8 throttle still push some acceleration - have to test it a little bit - was a little bit cold when I drove. May I have to step one size larger. Needle position I would say a half step richer (next position, no washer). But much much better than before.

I never expected such step in the right direction. Had the fear that I will over fuel with this step

But Iím also a little bit unhappy that Iím not able to identify the needles.
post #289 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 PM
Drop a gear and DISAPPEAR

Bike: 99 R6
Keep us updated please. I def need this thread to keep going!!! Any gen 1 knowledgeable guys out there please throw in some advance. Currently Ivan’s I had 40s in pilot but took them out ad went back to 38s. 148s main all the way across and stock needles with one thin washer kit stock filter muzzy exhaust. doesn't pull like it should at wot. Roll on is a lot better but Major no power until power ban on wot from fully closed

RESPECT the machine! If you ever hop on your bike and you are 100% comfortable, SELL IT cause you will end up hurting or killing yourself!!

Last edited by HAndHEldJEsuS; 09-18-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Wrong wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in