Exhaust Noise Level - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Kasanova

Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6 White
Question Exhaust Noise Level

Has anyone gotten and offical reading on the db level for their exhaust? limit is 106 and its measured at 6k RPM. I'm running MJS and a Termi. She's pretty loud just crusing, so I don't want to go to the track just to have to go back home. Thanks

*Dual 3000k HID*
*Custom Sandblasted Club Logo Wind Screen*
*MJS Header*
*Termignoni Slip-on*
*Bazzaz Zfi & AFM*
*Driven 520 kit -1/+1*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Exhaust Noise Level

I am running Gen1 MJS headers with MTC short can. Bought a decent DB meter. She pushes 112db without db killer and 108db with the DB killer fitted.

I need to sort my system out before the start of the season otherwise im not going to be let near a track
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Kasanova

where did you get your Db killer??

*Dual 3000k HID*
*MJS Header*
*Termignoni Slip-on*
*Bazzaz Zfi & AFM*
*Driven 520 kit -1/+1*

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 AM
My R6 eats me.

I got it from MTC mate as its the specific one for the can.

The problem is its quite a big bore can and really short! I have decided to go for a custom link pipe and a 5SL can. Doesn't look as good IMO but need to get the noise down for the track!

You might be alright with your Termi though. Have a look on eBay there are some pretty good DB meters which will give you an idea.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 AM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

There is a protocol for the way it's measured though. It should be measured at a 45 deg. angle from the exhaust exit at 4' away or something like that. It isn't simply stuff the DB meter near the exhaust and let it rip. Try measuring it at different angles and distances and you will be surprized at the different reading you get. Remember too that for every doubling of distance you loose 6 Db. of volume. So if you measured at 2' then it will be 6 Db. quieter at 4'. Which would put you at the 106 Db. mark. Also keep in mind the weighting that is used to measure. A and C are the most common. C will produce a lower level than A weighting. A weighting is used to see what volumes are actually being presented and C weighting adjusts to account for how the human ear perceives sound. Since the human ear is less than perfect, the volume is lower. Something to keep in mind. You should find out what the track protocol is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by luke geis; 01-13-2011 at 02:41 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
There is a protocol for the way it's measured though. It should be measured at a 45 deg. angle from the exhaust exit at 4' away or something like that. It isn't simply stuff the DB meter near the exhaust and let it rip. Try measuring it at different angles and distances and you will be surprized at the different reading you get. Remember too that for every doubling of distance you loose 6 Db. of volume. So if you measured at 2' then it will be 6 Db. quieter at 4'. Which would put you at the 106 Db. mark. Also keep in mind the weighting that is used to measure. A and C are the most common. C will produce a lower level than A weighting. A weighting is used to see what volumes are actually being presented and C weighting adjusts to account for how the human ear perceives sound. Since the human ear is less than perfect, the volume is lower. Something to keep in mind. You should find out what the track protocol is.
You are correct on this. The official ACU regulations are as follows;

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not sure if you were referring to the way I got my readings however I can confirm I followed the exact ACU regulations and got the following results;

Without DB killer 112DB
With DB killer 108DB

I have just had a custom link pipe made and I am going to run a 5SL Akrapovic can on my 07 R6 in order to get the noise down a bit.

As for the A and C weighting I was not aware of this so thanks for the info!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:01 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6

i did a decibel test using c- weight but only at idle not 7000rpm, average was just under 100db. looks like i got a new test to conduct. i'll post the video and results here when weather will allow.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Kasanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by suggett48116 View Post
i did a decibel test using c- weight but only at idle not 7000rpm, average was just under 100db. looks like i got a new test to conduct. i'll post the video and results here when weather will allow.

100 at idle
your going to be SCREAMING once you get into the power band

*Dual 3000k HID*
*MJS Header*
*Termignoni Slip-on*
*Bazzaz Zfi & AFM*
*Driven 520 kit -1/+1*
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krifor03 View Post
100 at idle
your going to be SCREAMING once you get into the power band
my bike is all stock with the exception of the Hotbodies megaphone slipon
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Jesus Reigns

Bike: 2009 R6s

I had no idea they had noise regulations at tracks. Out of all the places, I thought tracks wouldn't care how loud your exhaust is

Shogun cut sliders
Graves fender eliminator
Motodynamic integrated taillights
Hotbodies Flushmounts
6000k Luminics Pure Blue headlights
SpeedoDRD
BMC Air Filter
Powercommander III
Level One Racing exhaust
Custom powercommander map

ASV Levers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We'll sing until the whole world hears

Praise the Father, praise the Son.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in