Fuel cut at 11k? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Fuel cut at 11k?

2003 r6 45,000 miles

So I just scooped up this 03 r6. Runs great except that it seems to fall flat on its face at 11k. Its the same for every gear. The fuel pump is pretty load when I turn the key. Is there a way to test fuel pump pressure. I am a mechanic for cars but not much experience on bikes. I'm willing to try other things as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:01 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Fuel cut at 11k?

yes but you'll have to buy the adapter to go inline with the fuel hose to the pump. part # 90890-03176
YM-03176 output pressure is 42.6 psi
official Yamaha tool supplier,
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

alternative source,

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and no, harbor freight's fuel injection test kit doesn't have what you need. already been down that road lol

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-13-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Hey thanks for that. Too bad it's not just a hook up that I could test like a car. I guess that I may try a new fuel pump. I can't think of anything else. It sorta stumbles at the lower rpms sometimes. It just screams pump at me if it were a car. Well thanks I'll post back if that fixes it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Hey, is there a fuel pressure regulator. I have the tank off the bike and saw the pressure line to the rail. What about the other line coming back up that was clamped? I can't see the fuel rail but if there is one and I have a good pump I'll test that as well. May take the air cleaner to see if I can see it. Also is the any reference to how the TPS (throttle position) operates? I'd like to cover my bases. Thanks again.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

So I figured out how to use the on board diag and the tps is correct. I'm going to test the pump now.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnjames13 View Post
Hey, is there a fuel pressure regulator. I have the tank off the bike and saw the pressure line to the rail. What about the other line coming back up that was clamped? I can't see the fuel rail but if there is one and I have a good pump I'll test that as well. May take the air cleaner to see if I can see it. Also is the any reference to how the TPS (throttle position) operates? I'd like to cover my bases. Thanks again.
the fuel rail is there. it's what the pressure regulator is mounted to. the line with a normal clamp is the return line. all of the newer R6 have a returnless system where the pressure is regulated in the fuel pump instead. but the 2nd gen had a return line.
everything you need to know is in the service manual.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-15-2019 at 06:12 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Ok hey thanks for that link has tons of useful info. My problem now is that i have a body that doesn't appear to let pressure return to the bike. On the pump assembly housing the return port isn't able to be blown through. I assume that like in a car that that port should be free flowing?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:05 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2005 Yamaha R6

Please for the love of god, if you figure this out let it be known. I've only found about 2 other threads on this issue and none of them have given me an answer. I have an 05 and last season it was running just fine, I took it out of winter storage and immediately the bike won't go over about 12k RPM's...getting super frustrating. I'm pretty certain it has to be fuel related, like you guys are already mentioning.

Last edited by MATT2P; 04-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:36 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT2P View Post
Please for the love of god, if you figure this out let it be known. I've only found about 2 other threads on this issue and none of them have given me an answer. I have an 05 and last season it was running just fine, I took it out of winter storage and immediately the bike won't go over about 12k RPM's...getting super frustrating. I'm pretty certain it has to be fuel related, like you guys are already mentioning.
why dont you take it to a shop and let them pressure test it? should cost less than $100.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

That's not a bad idea. The issue I've experienced as a mechanic is a pump putting out enough pressure but not enough volume. The only true test is fuel pressure at wide open with a load and near to max rpm. I've ran a pressure tester though a hood and held it while driving and watched loss in pressure going down the road. That is what I believe I'm experiencing.

For you are you losing power at random spots and high rpm? Or is it just high rpm? Take the bike and at low rpm open up the throttle make sure the engine has to work (like a higher gear). If you get a power loss there you may be getting bad spark. If its just at rpm more that likely it's a fueling issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in