17+ R6 with 06/07 shorter velocity stacks - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

17+ R6 with 06/07 shorter velocity stacks

My understanding is that switching to the older stacks will help increase top end power of the bike while still maintaining good bottom end response. This mod needs to be paired with the actuation rod from the 06/07 as well. Can somebody chime in on the part number of the rod? I can't seem to find it on the OEM parts fiche.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 17+ R6 with 06/07 shorter velocity stacks

a lot of that stuff yamaha doesn't sell separate. you may have to ebay a old one. or does graves make one? I'd be interested in seeing some dyno numbers for proof because usually older tech is older for a reason.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
a lot of that stuff yamaha doesn't sell separate. you may have to ebay a old one. or does graves make one? I'd be interested in seeing some dyno numbers for proof because usually older tech is older for a reason.
Yeah, I'll be going the eBay route for sure on this one. I got this information from my tuner. Basically, the newer gen Yamaha stacks aim to improve low end power so the bike is more street friendly. All of the racers in my area do this mod to their bikes as it helps push the top end power substantially with minimal loss on the bottom.

I attached a Dyno graph from my bike. You can see the dip in the power which will be improved by running the older lower stacks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_163922_505_1555377779799.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	360850  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Just lean harder...

Bike: 07 R6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Yeah, I'll be going the eBay route for sure on this one. I got this information from my tuner. Basically, the newer gen Yamaha stacks aim to improve low end power so the bike is more street friendly. All of the racers in my area do this mod to their bikes as it helps push the top end power substantially with minimal loss on the bottom.

I attached a Dyno graph from my bike. You can see the dip in the power which will be improved by running the older lower stacks.
Your close, it's actually the 08-09 stacks and air box you want. The dip in your Dyno chart is actually caused from the velocity stacks moving, that's an easy fix to just change when they actuate.

Good luck finding an 08-09 air box on eBay.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: 17+ R6 with 06/07 shorter velocity stacks

not sure where youre getting your info but thats hilarious if you think changing the stacks is going to matter. What you dont realize is the 06/07 has a far more aggressive camshaft profile and when tuned/degreed will make power into the 15,000 rpm at about the same torque #s.
Also the new ECU and programming is way more advanced than the previous gen so if you cant actuate the velocity stacks through the software... find a reputable tuner that can.

FYI... a stock 2017 engine with degreed cams and MR12 fuel was clicking 175mph trap speeds (180 in a draft) at Daytona this year. How much do you want to bet they did not put some old velocity stacks in the airbox??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in