fuel adjustment on 01 carbs - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

fuel adjustment on 01 carbs

Hey guys, i know i have a similiar thread in the general discussion section, but im relatively knew to the forum and didnt realize that there was a whole section for fuel and exhaust stuff. plus i want to narrow down my question, at this point.

my issue was that my bike, 01 r6 (which is new to me, got it over the winter), would lose power like above 4k, when i opened the throttle, it would just bog down, i could only keep the throttle opened a little bit, other wise it would want to stall, like it wasnt getting any fuel when i opened up the throttle. so i took the carbs, out and disassembled them and cleaned, and oh my they definitely needed it! got a kit and replaced everything new in the carbs. also replaced spark plugs. tested coils according to the manual, they seemed fine. got the bike together and it ran great for about a mile, then it started having similiar issues, but not as bad as before, i can slowly get the rpms to climb if i babied the throttle.

im thinking the carbs are fine now, but probably the fuel needles need adjusted properly. does that sound like a good place to start? and my question is, these are the small flat head needle on the bottom of the carbs, correct? what do you recommend i set them to? how many turns out from seated?

thanks for the help!
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:20 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: fuel adjustment on 01 carbs

sounds like a fueling issue to me. do you need a manual? in the front of the manual they have specs for everything. here is where you will find how many turns out to go on the pilot screw. it says 2 out. page 28 (2-9).
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

also keep in mind you have an electric fuel pump to feed the carbs because they sit above the fuel tank outlet. so it has to be working good too. check that your fuel supply hose isn't getting kinked as you lower the tank down. this is a common problem.

if you can revv the engine up good sitting still but have this issue only while riding I'd say it's a fuel supply issue. it can't keep the carbs full when they start to suck the juice!

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-20-2019 at 04:24 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I do have the manual, but must have missed where it gives the details on these screws. I will check those pages, thanks for that. Yes that is why I figured it was a fueling issue. I did buy a new fuel pump as well since it was only $20. Havenít had any time this weekend but will get the pump in and these screws adjusted early this week and report back.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 AM

I assume the tank is no longer developing vacuum?

My prev owner had a jet kit installed- dynojet IIRC, might be one of those could be found. My engine only needs enrichener for 10-20 seconds, once the rpm pics up then enrichener off and it revs freely with the throttle. I wonder if you mighthave a vacuum leak or similar- or something interfering with the carb slides.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

are you saying that there should be vacuum pressure inside the tank while its running? when i pop my gas cap (which has just been replaced) there is a release of pressure, i guess im not sure if it was vacuum pressure or positive pressure inside the tank, but it is definitely creating some sort of pressure. you are saying there should be vacuum pressure?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:41 AM

There should be no pressure or vacuum in the gas tank, I suspect the tank vent or hose is plugged- that will certainly interfere with running- the more full the tank the worse it will be.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so i have my tank off now. im looking at the vents, which i am guessing are just the tubes that go from the top of the tank (inside the gas cap area) and our the bottom. if i blow those clean with compressed air, and air flows fine, then they should be OK im guessing? Ill do the same with the hoses.

now those vent pipes vent outside the gas cap area, dont they? so im confused, how do they relieve pressure/vacuum from the fuel area? maybe im overlooking something obvious lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

^^ Duh, the gas cap itself lets the pressure out lol ^^
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:36 PM

one vent pipe drains the collar around the cap for when you overflow, so gas doesn't go all over the place outside the tank- just drains out into the pan. The other vents internally, so when the cap is closed air can vent into the tank to replace fuel as its used- or to let pressure out when the tank heats up in the sun for example. The fuel pump sucks in thru the filter, developing maybe a couple psi in the float bowls- much much lower pressure than a FI system.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

well i got the fuel screws adjusted, put my new fuel pump on. and i guess one of those did it, cause it runs great now!!

but i am definitely getting positive pressure in my gas tank. i replaced the gas cap with a new one as part of this project as well, so i am not sure whats going on there. all my vents are clear, i blew through them all, and through the two hoses that come off the bottom of the tank and go out the bottom of the bike, all are clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in