'03 R6 Issue at WOT - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Intuit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

'03 R6 Issue at WOT

I have an '03 R6. I replaced the spark plugs (correctly gapped) and the coils a couple of months ago. All was well until last week.

Now after riding around for a while if I'm at WOT around 11k, it kind of jumps and then acts as if I cut fuel or removed the key. The engine stays on but loses almost all power and runs extremely rough. And it stays that way until I turn it off and back on, then it runs like normal until I am once again at WOT around 11K or so. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:56 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: '03 R6 Issue at WOT

Not easy to read amps, but are your voltage readings good? Exhaust smelling overly rich? Compare the coil resistances, to that which is specified in the 2003 R6 service manual. Coils are used? Which brand? Also may be time to perform a throttle body synchronization.
CJ Solberg likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

It's been raining a lot here, but I'll try to hook up a meter and run it soon. Exhaust does smell rich, but it has ever since I owned the bike. I bought brand new coils from Coilspec. Put them in late April and have about 2k miles on them, ran fine up until a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to google the throttle body sync thing but I do remember back in April I went into the settings and saw the throttle rotation corresponded I believe from 0-99 for its range. I can double check that later. Thank you for your suggestions.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Well my battery was sitting at 12.0v. Last rode it 5 or 6 days ago. Hooked up a multimeter and was getting 13.3v at idle and 14.1 at 5k. So I figured I needed to replace the battery anyway. Replaced the battery, I did about 10 pulls or so while riding around and have NOT been able to replicate my previous problem. So hopefully it was just a battery issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in