How protective are short boots? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2013 R6
How protective are short boots?

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of short boots such as the Alpinestars SMX-1R or the Dainese Dyno Pro D1 boots for short trips or when I will be doing some walking off the bike and was wondering just how much protection I would be sacrificing. I have a pair of Sidi Mag 1's I wear for longer, more spirited rides, but they're not very comfortable off the bike. When I first started riding, I was all about wearing the safest gear, so it was leather jacket, even in the summer, full boots, and gauntlet gloves. Five years later, and I'm starting to think about comfort as well, so I've been thinking about a mesh jacket, only for the most brutal days of summer, and shorty gloves and boots. I'm not sure this new way of thinking is the best! Do you guys have any opinions on the boots I mentioned or on short boots in general? Would you wear them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: How protective are short boots?

I'm in that camp ATGAT. So I'm always in leather jacket, gauntlets, full boots etc. However, the short boots are better than nothing and as long as they claim to offer some ankle protection they are fine IMO. They obviously won't offer the full protection a full-length boot does but you already know this.

Mesh jackets are garbage in my opinion. They offer almost little to no slide protection and will conduct heat really well (not good in a slide). I wear a vented leather jacket and under armor compression shirts/pants to help wick the sweat. Yea stoplights you feel the heat, but I am never uncomfortable. Prober base layers are key. If it's a serious heat wave I just don't ride during the afternoon.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
I'm in that camp ATGAT. So I'm always in leather jacket, gauntlets, full boots etc. However, the short boots are better than nothing and as long as they claim to offer some ankle protection they are fine IMO. They obviously won't offer the full protection a full-length boot does but you already know this.

Mesh jackets are garbage in my opinion. They offer almost little to no slide protection and will conduct heat really well (not good in a slide). I wear a vented leather jacket and under armor compression shirts/pants to help wick the sweat. Yea stoplights you feel the heat, but I am never uncomfortable. Prober base layers are key. If it's a serious heat wave I just don't ride during the afternoon.
Yeah, even though some of the mesh jackets I've seen claim to be very protective, I'll probably just stick to wearing my perf leather jacket. This will be my fifth summer wearing it, and so far I've managed to survived the heat. I did have to switch from a black to a white jacket though, which I think made a big difference, as I used to feel like I was about ready to pass out after riding in black leather in the heat of summer.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post

Thanks for your response! I decided to stick to full boots, as well as my perf leather jacket. Safety first! I just picked up a pair of Sidi Roarr boots which should be a little more comfortable to walk in then the Mag 1's, and as you said, if it's too hot, you can always ride later in the evening. I going to try those UA base layers as well. Thanks again!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Blue Wind

Shorty gloves are cool to see and fresh, but not good for fingers safety. you never know where the fingers will hit
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgelack View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of short boots such as the Alpinestars SMX-1R or the Dainese Dyno Pro D1 boots for short trips or when I will be doing some walking off the bike and was wondering just how much protection I would be sacrificing. I have a pair of Sidi Mag 1's I wear for longer, more spirited rides, but they're not very comfortable off the bike. When I first started riding, I was all about wearing the safest gear, so it was leather jacket, even in the summer, full boots, and gauntlet gloves. Five years later, and I'm starting to think about comfort as well, so I've been thinking about a mesh jacket, only for the most brutal days of summer, and shorty gloves and boots. I'm not sure this new way of thinking is the best! Do you guys have any opinions on the boots I mentioned or on short boots in general? Would you wear them?
As long as you have adequate support for your ankle to prevent over extension in the event of an accident, you should be good. Also, make sure your boots meet EN 13634:2011 standards.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I like the TCX lightweight series (eg vibe, blaze, air) - flat soles, go up well over the ankle with some support there & reasonably comfortable for walking around. The soles wear fairly quickly- at least my old X-Cubes I bought a few years ago did. They dry out reasonably fast, not as quickly as the hard plastic power ranger boots but overnight in front of a fan will dry them to usable next day. Long rides when I don't have to walk a bunch, I'm in my SMX boots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in