Optimal Racing fairings - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6
Optimal Racing fairings

This will be short and sweet as I'm tired, but I will answer any questions you guys might have. I did a shit load of research on this before buying, not only here but other forums too. I know a couple of guys here run these too. From my research I saw some issues with these last year. It seems the quality has gone up considerably.

These were bought for 355 shipped from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I dealt with Justin, he was an awesome guy and shipped my stuff out quick, replied to emails within 24 hours even late in the night. I was just being annoying since I wanted them before my track day, he promised I would have them and delivered one day early. As far as service from Justin and this site, it was A+.

The fairings arrived in a box, very neatly packed with bubble wrap and paper stuffing, out of the box there were no cracks or anything weird. Included were 2 optimal racing stickers
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holes were not pre-drilled, they were marked. I used the exact holes they marked for the bolts, I was expecting them to be off but they were not.

FITEMENT
Like said above, fitment was good except for my exhaust(05 headers). I had to vut it down a bit. I was able to get them on without much issues, this being my first time and completely alone.

Mark out for my slider.

PAINT
This is where we saw some issues come up, mainly because of primer. Anthony had painted 2 Armour Body plastics with no issues, but when it came to mine the paint wasn't sticking. We did the best we could on the white, and before painting the blue we added 2 coats of primer, after that paint went on fine.

Make sure you add a couple of coats of primer if you decide to buy this brand of plastics

I'll post my pics once more, I'm sure you've all seen them by now.

Conclusion
I haven't crash tested them, but as of now I see NO reason to spend 600-700 bucks on plastics when these are available.

Hope this helps anyone that might have been looking into them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 PM
They call me... Zebra!

Bike: 1000HP R6
Re: Optimal Racing fairings

Sick bro

One of the best looking paint jobs EVAR!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
I kick my bike over and let the tip switch turn it off....

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bike: 2007 R6 & 2008 R6

Damn man that turned out great
I'll be going through this soon too, just gotta decide on a color scheme

2007 R6
Currently in a coma
I Need Parts!!!!
Everything from the trees forward:
Clipons, forks, lower triple and gauges
race plastics accepted also
PM me

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

You just sold me on some race fairings. I am going to have to buy these when I get home.

Edit: I forgot to ask what type of paint did you use?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
You just sold me on some race fairings. I am going to have to buy these when I get home.

Edit: I forgot to ask what type of paint did you use?
Dupont paint...

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Is this a segment?

Bike: Vengesicle

Man, I hated mine

Glad they seem to be improving.

Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

very nice indeed. I've seen them crash tested, 2009 and 2010 models. Although not all crashes are the same, they do hold up well in some crashes and in others, completely obliterated.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 PM
ARMADA

nice paint!

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Paint is all Chief

Sent from my Nexus One using Motorcycle App

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Jonesing for track

Bike: 06 Track, 03 R6, 14' FZ09

Looks awesome! I would recommend lining the belly pan with a heat shield before you take it to the track.

I have a full Yoshi system and the belly pan ended up having a lot of burn marks and bubbles from my headers. I had to buy a new lower and I lined it with an adhesive heat barrier. No problems after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in